Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 03:56 PM

Default overcall, raise, or fold in big pot?

Reads- If I remember correctly. UTG is extremely loose-bad preflop and aggressive but not braindead postflop. CO is standard very loose passive donator.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

River: (16.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero ???.

or should i lead the river...
Old 07-05-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: overcall, raise, or fold in big pot?

Definitely don't fold here for one bet with the second nuts. Given the flop action I have a hard time putting either of them on an ace. But since they are both bad players I think it's a definite possibility. Closing the action I like just calling.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:14 PM

I may be way off base here but with 7 players in the pot I do not like your 4-bet on the flop. You had a raise, two cold callers and a reraise behind you. I would just fold here.

On the river I think that you have to suck in up and make the over-call. You are probably beat by the Ace high straight but who knows. Hold your breath and overcall.

The problem with this hand is that you are hoping to make a potentially second best hand with your flush or your straight. With that in mind I would get out on the flop.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:21 PM

Folding is definetely wrong. It's a big pot, 2nd nut (see above). I also didn't like the cap on the flop.

I'm more curious about the turn. Would it have been proper if u bet out at the turn?

I don't believe that betting out at the end would help, as pretty much all hands you have beaten would fold while hands that dominate you will call/raise. If you bet out at the turn, it may have made the river decision easier
Old 07-05-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be way off base here but with 7 players in the pot I do not like your 4-bet on the flop. You had a raise, two cold callers and a reraise behind you. I would just fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

by the time i capped, there were only 4 opponents (5 total) and if there were more people in i would have capped faster.

the number of times my baby flush will lose to a higher flush is insignificant compared to the number of times it will win. granted, i will lose a lot of money in a flush over flush situation, but thats the way it goes.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:23 PM

I play the entire hand the same way. I do think you won it though.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:23 PM

This is a good cap. 2-card flush over 2-card flush is rare and hero will win the overwhelming majority of the time when there are 3 flush cards on the board. If a 4th flush card falls then you have something to worry about...
Old 07-05-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more curious about the turn. Would it have been proper if u bet out at the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you hope to accomplish with a turn bet?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Hmmm. Let me see if I have this straight. You are value betting with the cap bet because your odds of making the flush are better than the pot odds? Is that what makes the cap bet correct?

Maybe this is a weakness in my game. I don't usually play a flush draw that agressively.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is definetely wrong. It's a big pot, 2nd nut (see above). I also didn't like the cap on the flop.

I don't believe that betting out at the end would help, as pretty much all hands you have beaten would fold while hands that dominate you will call/raise. If you bet out at the turn, it may have made the river decision easier

[/ QUOTE ]

the only reason the river is a tough decision is because it completed the straight draw for any ace. and then UTG wakes back up...