Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: No pot control in this one

[ QUOTE ]
wait... do you play limit?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I do come from that background. Not sure if you are taking a jab at me but that is the answer to your question.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might have the best hand and can stop him from hitting an overcard to my 6's. There are a lot of broadway gutshots he could have. He is not a lunatic and might fold hands like 99.

[/ QUOTE ]this mighta been the tipoff... haha.
this hand has nothing to do with pot control... pot control is when you have a good hand and dont want to get blown off and would like to see a showdown... here your hand is almost worthless (its actually slightly better than 23 because of the rare times he will have QJs and call then checkcheclcheckcheck)
might fold 99, lol.... no he might fold AK.
dont worry too much about protecting fragile hands that may be best... it opens yourself up too much.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this hand has nothing to do with pot control... pot control is when you have a good hand and dont want to get blown off and would like to see a showdown... here your hand is almost worthless (its actually slightly better than 23 because of the rare times he will have QJs and call then checkcheclcheckcheck)
might fold 99, lol.... no he might fold AK.
dont worry too much about protecting fragile hands that may be best... it opens yourself up too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response. So are you saying I am overthinking my hand being the best and this is an easy fold?

I feel like if I fold by default in every single one of these marginal situations i am just going to get run over by certain players.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:10 AM

being overrun is if you have AK in this hand and people are constantly making this raise vs you.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:50 AM

hellacious when that starts

causes major tilt

great reason to make this play occassionally with "air"
Old 09-19-2005, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a hand I played and my thoughts. Let me know if I am a moron:

5/10 NL 8-handed.
Aggressive opponent ($1300) opens in MP to $40. I ($950) call on the button with 66. Blinds fold.

Flop ($95): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Opponent bets $80, I make it $240....

My thoughts. Opponent is the type to fire the second barrel here a lot if I just call. I might have the best hand and can stop him from hitting an overcard to my 6's. There are a lot of broadway gutshots he could have. He is not a lunatic and might fold hands like 99.

Stupid? Building a big pot with a marginal hand is horrible? Obvious I am weak because I probably might actually play a stronger hand more slowly?

Thanks,
tpir

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like it. Its as if you decided, "i will force this hand." Anyway, if you're going to do this, dont do it against an aggressive players, pick some weak tightie who'll put you on a set and toss slick.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:44 AM

Wait, people actually fold AK here? OK, I most definitely have a problem with being too loose post-flop thanks to my limit upbringing.