Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Chalibi Passing Secrets To Iran Doesn\'t Pass the Smell Test

If Chalibi was privvy to classified information something seems to be very wrong with how he was granted access to classified info. I held a top level security clearance for eight years. I used to work in one of the most highly secure places in the United States when I was involved in dismantlement. I know what people have to go through to obtain a security clearance. I held this clearance and I NEVER saw one classified document. Granted I worked in an area that was highly secure due to the nature of the place but I never saw any classified info per se. I can't believe that Chalabi would be cleared to have access to classified information but maybe someone could explain (like Jimbo maybe) how Chalabi could have access to such info not being a US citizen and having a criminal record. Therefore I have my doubts as whether or not Chalabi really had access to classified info that he could share with Iran. This gives Chalibi's claim the CIA is smearing him more credibility in my mind.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Chalibi Passing Secrets To Iran Doesn\'t Pass the Smell Test

Where you on the CIA payroll like he was?
How much money did you launder for the Iran/Contra affair?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:32 PM

Isn't it possible Chalabi was much higher up the chain than you were? He personally met with Perle and Wolfowitz way back. Heck, he personally met with Saddam Hussein (and in fact his bank did business with and for Hussein in the 1980s). He was getting $340,000 a month for information. He was airlifted back into Iraq immediately after Hussein fell.

A criminal record has never stopped us from using the possessor of it in a key surreptitious capacity. Some of our best friends are criminals.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:14 PM

Apparently my post was misleading. I'm a nobody basically which doesn't stop anyone from getting a high level security clearance. However, my understanding of the clearance process would preclude someone like Chalabi from receiving a clearance. I assume that in order to be privvy to classified information, one has to have a security clearance. Even if one has a security clearance then classified information is disseminated on a need to know basis. Perhaps the whole clearance process can be short circuited by someone high enough which wouldn't surprise me. If that's the case the clearance process is basically worthless IMO which wouldn't surprise me either.

I mean either way there's something wrong here. If Chalabi indeed was cleared to recieve classified information then that doesn't say a whole lot about the proces IMO. If Chalabi was not cleared then why was he receiving classified information? If he was not receiving classified information then why is the CIA implying that he was? Hope I explained my dilemna better in this post.

I believe Robert Oppenheimer lost his security clearance. I realize that was a long time ago but if a somebody like Oppenheimer can lose his clearance why the hell is Chalabi, a non USA citizen, privvy to classified information for crying out loud. I don't think Chalabi was. My understanding is that one has to have a security clearance to be privvy to classified information in the USA.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:01 PM

Hold in mind that many classified documents have degrees of 'security' attached to them. There is also a monstrous bureaucracy associated in dealing with and how to classify classified documents and as such security breaches are probably common, whether through ineptitude, honest mistakes in procedures, or clandestine means. I would be willing to wage that thousands of supposed secure or otherwise classified documents are seen by prying eyes.

And as you know there is also varying degrees of security clearances. As to a criminal record this is usually only serious if CONVICTED of a Felony. Not being a US Citizen is much more problematic post 9-11 than it use to be but can still be overcome. Security clearances are really not that difficult to get – I have one. Remember the need to know creed.

I am ignorant about this Chalibi affair that is being hooted about and I care very little about it whatever it is.

The real problem is one of getting the right people to do the right job. For example, if I were president and needed some slippery and dirty work done on the sly, I would hire some criminal person to do it. But the criminal would have to be a smart one – in other words someone that hasn’t been caught or at least if attested, was never convicted. You have to have intelligent people doing dirty work. Dumb people always screw things up.

-Zeno
Old 05-25-2004, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe Robert Oppenheimer lost his security clearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oppenheimer lost his security clearance mainly through politics and the whole aura of the McCarthy hearings. Not to mention the mean-spirited dealings of Edward Teller.

-Zeno
Old 05-26-2004, 01:59 AM

Oppenheimer's clearance was scheduled to expire the next year anyway, and indeed it was politics that was at the root of the affair. Teller apparently felt some remorse because when LBJ gave Oppenheimer the Medal of Freedom (or whatever it was he gave him), Teller was in favor of it and in fact lobbied on Oppenheimer's behalf.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:00 AM

I guess one has to have security clearance or be a wealthy scumbag who can help you get what you want.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:24 AM

Default He still works for the CIA-or they\'d arrest or kill him

They could kill him and easily blame "terrorists." If he actually passed classified info, they could arrest him and put him on trial.

The only logical conclusion is that he still works for the CIA.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Re: He still works for the CIA-or they\'d arrest or kill him

How long did it take for you to figure that out? Some people here still seem to be confused.

Add Chabali to the Noriega/Saddam/Bin Laden group of CIA agents and friends, who we turned around and made the bad guy (I wonder if they get paid extra when they do that?)