Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: So what\'s a bad downturn?

here goes...

1. yeah, that sucks, but SB made 2 mistakes before picking up the flush draw. nothing else you could have done. i call that river bet as he could have something like Q9 (although others may fold), but that's the only thing really.

2. when he leads into my raises twice, i'm thinking there's a good chance he's got the 8 and try to get out cheaply, esp w/ SB cc so often (i.e. if UTG doesn't have the 8, SB can't be CC with much else)

3. raise the flop. there's no reason to believe you aren't ahead here (unless you've got a read on the guy) and you might just convince him to give up on his 2nd pair no kicker (but probably not)...actually, with the button limp and a SB limp, i raise with quite a bit here pre-flop as that's generally a sign of weakness. he didn't 3-bet you, so you can't assume you're in too much trouble. what happened on the river?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3. raise the flop. there's no reason to believe you aren't ahead here (unless you've got a read on the guy) and you might just convince him to give up on his 2nd pair no kicker (but probably not)...actually, with the button limp and a SB limp, i raise with quite a bit here pre-flop as that's generally a sign of weakness. he didn't 3-bet you, so you can't assume you're in too much trouble. what happened on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

The other two were all-in. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:51 AM

consolation: its only 10bucks .. my bad hands cost about 4times as much
Old 07-08-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The other two were all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

makes sense. it's always amazing what people will go all-in with in a limit cash game.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:29 PM

I actually don't mind the slowplay in the third hand. Board is rainbow and reasonably uncoordinated. Pot is small and you don't mind terribly if people catch something as you are likely way ahead (and no flush draw is available).

As far as these 3 hands, I highly doubt aces and kings are your biggest leaks. If you called down everytime with these 2 hands you could still easily be a winning player. I know I was leaking with offsuit connectors QTo/JTo-78o. If you've been winning, shake it off, you'll occasionally have a 100+BB downswing that will make you question everything you know about poker. If you're just starting and losing money, post some non-premium hands where you lost a lot of money and did a lot of calling or played too aggressively.

These 3 hands are clearly just variance. Either way keep reading the forums and posting hands, nothing like a downswing to force you to evaluate your game and improve.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll post more in the future if it continues. What's crazy is that my biggest loser last night was KK. Beaten 4 out of 4 times, every time without seeing an A hit the board. 3 out of 4 were pretty good size pots that I was jamming at least until the turn.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:09 PM

It would be one thing if you kept jamming after an ace flopped, but yeah this is most likely just variance.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:45 PM

Ah, that is bad luck. Grandfather say it not rain everyday.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:52 PM

I had a 270 bb downswing once. I decided that i must suck even though i felt like i was playing well. I kept with it though and 2 days later i was up 350bb. Playing poker makes me feel bipolar.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:03 PM

50 BB is not a big deal if you got sucked out on a lot. If you were playing bad though, or aren't sure that your play was sound, it might be wise to step back and evaluate. Review hands and look for leaks or mistakes.