Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Isn\'t the Bible anti-gambling?

This really does not make much sense to me. Considering that gambling is a vice and is something that a strict Christian would not participate in, I am sure they could find a whole lot to complain about in regards to Poker.
Besides, since when do Christians have the patent on the word "Jesus?"

Rock27 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: negreanu religious view?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but are you actually suggesting that there would be any circumstance in which people wouldn't get offended by a "character" nicknamed Hitler?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not offended by a character named "Unabomber".

Are you actually implicitly suggesting that if a menacing looking asian player became a WPT staple that people would be offended if he had the nickname "Genghis Khan"? I can say with near certainty there would be no public outcry over that situation if it ever happened. Why not? Don't they have any idea how many people that guy killed?

I don't know about you, but my spidey-sense tends to go off whenever someone says something to the effect of "you people should be ashamed of yourself for not being offended by this".
Old 06-20-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually do know what Jesus looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

this, and the thought of mike sexton exclaiming about hitler raising on a stone cold bluff just made me shoot my coffee out my nose. i hope nobody's offended that i could laugh at that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, where I think Laak goes wrong is in perpetuating the nickname. Why would anyone want to be known as the unabomber? I can't understand it. Yet, he continued to wear that hooded sweatshirt which in turn seemed to imply he liked the nickname or at least encouraged it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether or not he goes around saying "Hey ladies, you might remember me from the world poker tour - I'm Phil 'The Unabomber' Laak", but if 'perpetuating his nickname' means that other people continue to call him that because he wears what he's most comfortable playing poker in (a hooded sweatshirt), then f- 'em. He's not responsible for what morons think.

[/ QUOTE ]
My feeling was the sweatshirt wasn't "the thing he's most comfortable playing in", but rather a gimmick. Did you see the episodes where he was tying it over his head?

If I'm wearing a clown suit in a tournament as a gimmick to get noticed and people start calling me "Gacy" you bet I'm going to stop wearing the clown suit. In fact, I might skip some hands to go change in the middle of play.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Isn\'t the Bible anti-gambling?

[ QUOTE ]
Considering that gambling is a vice and is something that a strict Christian would not participate in, I am sure they could find a whole lot to complain about in regards to Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious where in the Bible do you find a prohibition against gambling?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:21 PM

Read my post more carefully. I didn't say what offends me personally (not much does). I said that people would be offended by a poker player nicknamed Hitler. Unfortunately, there's no anti-defamation league for victims of Ted Kascinzky (sp?). But regardless of your own morality, or of any hypocrisy involved in this argument, trivializing Hitler makes people angry.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:28 PM

It is disrespectful because announcers on tv and fans make statement like. If he comes back from this short stack to win they will change his name to God instead of jesus. It like comparing him and his poker abilties in some way to comapare with what jesus was capable of in a way i think. That he is so good at poker he plays like jesus. I don't think jesus would apreciate haivng poker players comapre themsleves to him. Not that Chris is doing this, but announcers and fans do. Obviously they are not seriously doing it. But i don't think it is appropriate to alot of people for others to joke about a respected religous figure who some believe gave his life for us. Maybe like its in poor taste to bring jesus up when discussing sex or somthing like that. It is disrespectful to make jokes or compare someone with such an important and respected person in many peoples lives. It is taboo.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is disrespectful because announcers on tv and fans make statement like. If he comes back from this short stack to win they will change his name to God instead of jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this has anything to do with Ferguson or his acceptance of the nickname. People can say all kinds of wacky things about lots of different nicknames and bring God into it. How does this have anything to do with simply having the nickname Jesus being disrespectful?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think jesus would apreciate haivng poker players comapre themsleves to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be better if a plumber compared himself to Jesus? And, I don't think Ferguson is in any way making that comparison in any event.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe like its in poor taste to bring jesus up when discussing sex or somthing like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus not only sactions, but encourages sex between married couples doesn't he? So why is it in poor taste to bring up Jesus when talking about sex?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
trivializing Hitler makes people angry.

[/ QUOTE ]

as we can clearly see by the massive public outcry after the release of the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode. Or "Stalag 17". Or "The Producers". :P

...I agree with you to an extent, but if some poker player for god knows what reason decided to grow a little toothbrush-bristle moustache, anyone who says calling him "hitler" would be so offensive that it never crossed their tolerant and respectful mind is either a) full of sh*t, or b) if they are honest, they certainly aren't worth talking to or investing a lot of mental energy in in the first place.

But I agree that Sexton probably wouldn't be caught dead saying "Hitler's looking down at Big Slick!"