Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: $20 SnG\'s

[ QUOTE ]

This is where many people go astray in their intellectual approach to SNGs. You don't need to actively extract money from players until they stop actively donating it to you. That doesn't occur until the higher levels. All you have to do at the low levels to earn money is resist the seemingly uncontrolable urge to put as many of your chips as posible into a pot with the worst of it.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but if you're playing against players with looser standards, how do you know when you've got the worst of it?
Old 01-13-2005, 04:28 PM

That question is not stupid at all. I cant believe it took 50 posts to get to this.

I'd field an answer, but frankly, i can't. I am as stuck on this as you are. When i play a $11, when i bust out OTM, its often on just ONE hand. I push what seems to be an advantage, and get shown some silly hole cards that were badly misplayed, and thus i never see it coming.

Looking forward to anyones advice on avoiding this
Old 01-13-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but if you're playing against players with looser standards, how do you know when you've got the worst of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can't KNOW when you've got the worst of it. You can, however, make an educated decision based on your cards, how your opponent has been playing, and his likely range of hands.

I find that at low buyins I usually do well by simply playing tighter than the fish who will go all-in with A6 or KJ. If you are pushing in all your chips with premium hands you will more often than not have the best of it against these types of players.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes. I put more thought and time into this thread than usual and thought I provided thorough reasoning and explanations.

This type of reply makes me less than eager to do something like that again.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one time in this thread that you mentioned anything about how the starting chip stacks (WHICH ARE DIFFERENT) between the $30 and $50 S+G's make the game play a little differently, and PERHAPS, not definitely but MAYBE how the $50's could in fact be easier than $30's. Deeper stacks help the better player and PERHAPS the upgrade of skill from $30 to $50 is not as strong compared to the upgrade of chips that put you that far ahead of the worse players where you will beat them more often.

No, but instead you give a wisecrack answer to my non wisecrack question. Thats why you get a snide response. Let me know if you want to come off your high horse and provide your reasoning since you apparently have all the answers yet just give BS replies.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is not that they are arguing with you, of course, arguments are good, but that they simply think you're just full of xxxx or something, and want you to stop telling them they're wrong. They can't accept it, because they are very very good players, of course (they just have this minor problem of not being able to crush low buy in SNGs with terrible players in them... but nobody's perfect )

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont you and Irie have a sitdown session where you ACTUALLY READ THE DAMN POSTS before making your comments. I made that remark because of his stupid answer where he says NOTHING about the stack sizes. I am not complaining I cant beat $10 S+G's, I was asking something that was NOT covered here. So maybe both of you can stop worrying about the first negative comments someone makes and then tries to say thats why they dont help. They give a stupid answer to a legitamite question and when that person retaliates they scream wolf because someone was mean to them and that their "respected poster" status should dismiss them from any wrongdoing.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to know in every instance. You just have to know when you rate to be ahead, and when you rate to be behind... and then act accordingly.

Irieguy
Old 01-13-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only viable arguement that you didnt create nor even comparable is that the $50 S+G's may be easier than the $30's.

There are a couple of reasons for this if you want to try and formulate that arguement.

Irie do you want to comment on that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure. The $55's are harder than the $33's.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really see anything wise-ass or sarcastic in his answer.

I think his point was simpe. It gets more difficult as you move up in buyin. Higher buyins = better players = tougher games. Regardless of stack sizes.

I'm not really understanding you blowing a gasket over this.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 PM

Not sure why you're so angry, but if you'd like to see more of a discussion on the effect that differing starting stack sizes make, you can search for a thread called:

"Rhythm in the Madness II: The $55's"

Irieguy
Old 01-13-2005, 05:32 PM

Thank you.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:36 PM

rickr,

I actually believe that the higher chip count at the 55's has the opposite effect than you're suggesting. I think it contributes to making them play more difficult.

The reason is that the typical 55 player has much more experience and a better developed set of skills for play on the bubble. My experience is that the biggest difference in play from the 33's to the 55's is the quality of play on the bubble and it is much easier to exploit the bubble situations at the 33's. That more than makes up for the difference in luck derived from the higher starting chip counts.