Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Bush setting the stage for leaving Iraq?

I've been generally pessimistic about Bush getting us out of Iraq any time soon. But an article in this mornings newspaper has given me a little hope. The statement might mean nothing or it could be the prelude for the U.S. getting out sometime soon as this is the first time that he's said anything that would give us reason to believe he would leave.

Friday, January 28, 2005

BUSH VOWS TO LEAVE IF IRAQ ASKS

By Elisabeth Bumiller, David E. Sanger and Richard W. Stevenson The New York Times

WASHINGTON— President Bush said in an interview yesterday that he would withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq if the new government that is elected on Sunday asked him to do so, but that he expected Iraq’s first democratically elected leaders would want the United States to remain as helpers, not as occupiers.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Bush setting the stage for leaving Iraq?

I believe this has been the party line all along, that is, once the elections take place, the USA staying in place would be contingent upon the desires of the new government.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe this has been the party line all along, that is, once the elections take place, the USA staying in place would be contingent upon the desires of the new government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but what's significant is that Bush is saying it and he's saying it now. Here's another line form the article.

Some members of the administration have made similar pledges, but this was the first time Bush has done so.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:37 AM

You also have to realize that there really isnt anything else Bush can say. Saying we werent going to leave if the newly elected government asks us to really isnt an option.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You also have to realize that there really isnt anything else Bush can say. Saying we werent going to leave if the newly elected government asks us to really isnt an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

So my hopes are overly optimistic, then? That's disappointing.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but what's significant is that Bush is saying it and he's saying it now. Here's another line form the article.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has been saying this since elections in Iraq were scheduled. This is only news to those who aren't getting their news from objective sources. This is one of the reasons I have been so puzzled by your screaming about leaving Iraq.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has been saying this since elections in Iraq were scheduled. This is only news to those who aren't getting their news from objective sources. This is one of the reasons I have been so puzzled by your screaming about leaving Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you're inferring that you think we'll be out soon. Then why did you make this statement?

"leaving Iraq would be a mistake so serious that I shudder to consider the consequences."
Old 01-28-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Read between the lines

Cheney/Rumsfeld: "Look George, we know the Shiites will win. They are scared shitless of the Sunni radicals and ex-Baathists overthrowing them by force and will grit their teeth and support the occupation. But if you say this, it will make us look good, as if we're only there to offer a helping hand and wouldn't dare impose ourselves on the situation if we weren't wanted. Ha ha ha ha..."
Old 01-28-2005, 02:50 PM

I think that everybody is missing the point here. The point is we are installing the government. They will ask us to do whatever we tell them to ask us to do.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that everybody is missing the point here. The point is we are installing the government. They will ask us to do whatever we tell them to ask us to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there were going to be democratic elections he naively asks?