Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]

etiquette or not, why is it sick? This is like the balk in baseball rule, i don't understand why so many people are aghast when asked to see cards. I could care less, and have asked once before when trying to figure out a tricky player.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nothing like a balk.

Balks are not an often-abused part of the baseball rulebook, because the balk rule is not in place to prevent collusion.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could care less, and have asked once before when trying to figure out a tricky player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what Tommy has to say on this subject...?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's in poor taste than, they should change the rules. Just something silly people get all bent out of shape about that I never understood.

FWIW. My company blocks Tommy's site.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it's in poor taste than, they should change the rules. Just something silly people get all bent out of shape about that I never understood.

FWIW. My company blocks Tommy's site.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should. But history is filled with bad rules and bad decisions that take far too long - if ever - to be corrected.

As far as the article, check it out when you are on a computer that can go to his site, but suffice it to say that it explains quite well why the rule is wrong and should be eliminated.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-28-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

etiquette or not, why is it sick? This is like the balk in baseball rule, i don't understand why so many people are aghast when asked to see cards. I could care less, and have asked once before when trying to figure out a tricky player.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nothing like a balk.

Balks are not an often-abused part of the baseball rulebook, because the balk rule is not in place to prevent collusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I didn't explain myself well (work got in the way and I hit post). I never understood "balks" because if a player is trying to "steal" a base, the pitcher should do whatever is in his power to prevent it. It seems so hypocritical that you are penalized for deception.

The corrolation I (unsuccessfully) tried to make was that, like Balks, I never understood why people get bent out of shape over something that the rules clearly say you can do.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could care less, and have asked once before when trying to figure out a tricky player.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an angle-shot, plain and simple. You are using a rule for something other than its intended purpose to gain an advantage.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never understood why people get bent out of shape over something that the rules clearly say you can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Angle-shooters are "angle-shooters" rather than "cheaters" because everything they do is within the letter of the rules. They do not typically bother me, as I've played enough live to not fall for any of their stupid tricks. But that doesn't keep me from thinking they are sleazeballs.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 PM

Default PS

One of the reasons they are so scummy is because the people who get screwed by them are often the nicest, newest players. This is why I always speak up when these scumbags try to pull a fast one on someone who doesn't know better.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 PM

It's a bad rule in that it gets used much more often for a purpose for which it wasn't intended, and (theoretically) gives players who ask an advantage over those who don't. Meanwhile, if everyone asked after any tricky hands, it would slow down the game and completely go against the spirit of the game.

So not asking is the classy thing to do. If someone is using the rule unscrupulously to get an edge, then it's debabatble whether you're entitled to do so in return, whether you should do so in return, etc.

In this case, I doubt the old man got much use from the info, and bk is perfectly capable of adjusting his game to get extra bets from the old man who figures bk must be overplaying his hand again.

To me, asking to see someone's mucked cards is kind of like how George pushes the old woman and the children out of the way in the fire on Seinfeld. Strictly speaking you can get away with it, but it's also worthy of derision by society.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:51 PM

IMO it would be better if only the dealer was allowed to view the mucked cards to determine if people were colluding. If the dealer was suspected as well then another person from the floor could be called over.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
old guy who wasn't involved in the hand asked the dealer to see my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so bush league.