Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Weak Laydown?

Last night I was dinkering around on a 0.25-50 NL table (10-handed)

No significant hands to speak of for several orbits, but I have seen some flops, no showdowns.

I am dealt KK in the SB... there is a pfr from MP+3 to $1 (standard open-raise at these stakes). CO (Villian) re-raises to $3. Villian in this hand is a solid player, but unaggressive (no pfr in previous orbits), who suffered a drawout with top set several hands ago. I ponder: thinking... I haven't seen this guy raise once... and now he's going over top of a solid open raise? Is this tilt...??? Bear in mind this is the largest pfr I've seen at this table in 30 hands...

Villian could have been on tilt, but range villian squarely on AA or AK. Most people play QQ really passive at these tables with a pfr in front (looking for an A or K on the flop). Given I hold 2 Kings, I figure 75% of the time he has AA. So I muck. I figure this is an overall -EV situation.

Anyway the original raiser calls the raise and the flop comes all bricks: Txx if I remember correctly... MP checks and Villian makes a solid continuation bet (4/5 of pot) and MP folds.

I really don't care that I mucked this hand... at an aggressive table, I would pushed or re-raised here in a heartbeat, but in this tight-passive situation I hate getting my money in with second best hand...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Weak Laydown?

Push
Old 08-17-2005, 06:29 PM

$1 is a minraise. I don't think a $3 raise over a minraise has to be aces.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:38 PM

you really think these players play QQ more passively AK? thats opposite of what most do
Old 08-17-2005, 06:40 PM

This is a terrible play. Even if you know with 100% certainty that he holds AA you should still call with implied odds to flop a set. Folding in that spot is just horrendous.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:43 PM

yes. don't overthink these situations. if you're playing a low limit NL table online, and you're not EXTREMELY big stacked, go broke with KK v. AA EVERYTIME! it will pay you in the long run.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I was dinkering around....

[/ QUOTE ]

More poker, less dinkering solves this problem.

WLOTW. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

(worst laydown of the week) [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 07:00 PM

where is it that u play that i can get a player to lay down QQ for a min-raise? i want in!

ps i second this as the WLOTW whatever that means, it was bad. u have nasty implied odds if u spike a K and likely have the best hand to begin with.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:24 PM

Interesting...

I disagree this is a horrible laydown. I have 0.25 invested in the pot and I strongly suspect a player has AA. Anything over $2 preflop at 0.10-0.25 is serious heat on a tight-passive table. I agree tho a better alternative is to min-raise to 6 here and see if he pushes or calls.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:32 PM

I think a reraise preflop would help better define the hand your opponent holds, but you shouldn't really lay down kings preflop without a very very strong read on a player. In tournaments, it may be a very nice laydown but in cash games you should usually take a flop.