Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Hiatus Hand #4, AA with a straight heavy rag board

First hand, thus no reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t80, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t60.

Flop: (t250) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, MP2 calls t200, BB folds.

Turn: (t650) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1220</font>, MP2 calls t420 (All-In).

River: (t3090) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3090
Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Hiatus Hand #4, AA with a straight heavy rag board

Fine.
Y'know, there's a common theme running through these posts. You're trying to apply high buyin thinking to a low buyin game. I'm not tryng to say there's anything wrong with that, its great to try to figure out what a thinking player would be doing in whatever situation you're in. However, after you do that I think you should remind yourself that the players at the $6.50s are retarded, meaning you shouldn't be looking for places to make tough laydowns.

That or go rob a bank and move up. Based on your posts I'm pretty sure you could beat the $109s.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 PM

I think this is a case of, "when the bad card hits." I put him on 66 or two hearts, and 10% donk. I think when this bad card hits, a bet half the pot will be enough to make a call with 2 hearts incorrect, the straight will re-raise, and you still have an exit strategy.

With your bet on the turn I just call the min re-raise and look for 3:1 on the river to call.

too weak?

BTW, Im loving the hiatus hands - good stuff
Old 07-11-2005, 02:45 PM

I guess my post has ZERO bearing then in the 6.50's
Old 07-11-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With your bet on the turn I just call the min re-raise and look for 3:1 on the river to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] 800 on the turn, 200 on the flop and 80 preflop means I've invested 1080 out of 1500 chips. If I call the turn I can't fold the river, so it doesn't really matter what I do on the turn once I've decided to continue.

I can fold to the turn miniraise though. What do people think about checking(with intending to fold) the turn? I feel like that's really too weak tight for the $6.50s, I get shown A7 or 99 too often to fold I think.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:58 PM

yeah you are right, was still thinking 400+200+80, didnt add the call. Ill stop posting for a while, Im working and posting at the same time and it isnt going very well thus far today
Old 07-11-2005, 03:28 PM

You played this OK...there are two v. strong draws on the flop though. If people are going to chase, you need to make them pay when they suckout...I would overbet like 400 into this 250 pot. You need to at LEAST bet the pot here. Remember that you control the pot odds and that when your opponent donkey draws you win Sklansky dollars.

You are putting all your chips in this pot no matter what...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played this OK...there are two v. strong draws on the flop though. If people are going to chase, you need to make them pay when they suckout...I would overbet like 400 into this 250 pot. You need to at LEAST bet the pot here. Remember that you control the pot odds and that when your opponent donkey draws you win Sklansky dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I think I like the overbet, didn't think about it until this post - I almost never overbet. Nearly all the time I bet 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot or 1/3ish of the pot depending on what I'm trying to do. This is a good spot for an overbet though.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I think I like the overbet, didn't think about it until this post - I almost never overbet. Nearly all the time I bet 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot or 1/3ish of the pot depending on what I'm trying to do. This is a good spot for an overbet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overbets are why NL rules. If the flop was 723 rainbow or something you could take your time, but Hellmuth's Law (donkeys always draw) states that you need to overbet here.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:56 PM

Tough hand....I would probably check for a few reasons. First off if your opponent has the straight they will often make stupid small bets and thus you wont lose your whole stack. What I mean is they may decide you have nothing and thus decide to bet very small to keep you in...of course they could also be making tiny bluff bets as well. Once you make a huge bet though they are basically forced to put all their money in, and at a $5 buyin, I don't feel comfortable putting in such a huge chunk of my stack and then folding.

Secondly checking gives them a much better chance of putting money in with a hand that has very few outs. I feel a lot more comfortable about my AA when my opponent bets after my check than if they raise my bet, however I don't want to fold to their raise anyway. Of course you allow some free cards by checking, but okay sometimes in life the best play will have you allowing some free cards that beat/tie you.

I really don't know though, this is a tough spot against a random $5 player, although I do think I'd lean towards checking.