Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Negativity, anger, etc. in poker. I have a major problem.

I've been reading these forums for a while, but I have a question that I would like some advice on. Basically, how do you purge negativity and anger from your mind when playing?

I find myself getting so *angry* at poker and poker players, even though they have been very good to me. I hate the fish when they suck out and I hate them when they don't suck out. I play angry constantly, even though I don't believe it affects my game. Does everyone get super angry when they play? Is it just me?

All of this is a little hard to admit, and I don't think I have an anger problem in any other area of my life (I have a very stressful job as a lawyer and it doesn't get to me there). But when I play poker, I just seem to absolutely despise the people I am playing against, unless they are close friends. When I beat some fish, I actually hate the fact that they even tried to draw out on me (irrational, I know) and when they beat me I just want to kill them.

I'd really like some help. I know that the fish help me enormously, and I know that chasing is actually good for me, but I can't seem to shake the rage that comes over me when I play, even when I am winning. I am not on a downswing, and that's why I am posting this. I am actually on the best upswing of my poker career, and I realized that even in spite of this I am *still* angry. So that's why I am asking for help, because it's clear that it's a problem for me in spite of great results recently.

Any advice will be heeded and much appreciated. Flames will be ignored, so don't bother.

Thanks to any who can help.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Negativity, anger, etc. in poker. I have a major problem.

yeah man in a little fire in your belly isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you dont act (physically) on it. being competitive can sometimes be mood changing, i wouldnt worry about it unless it starts to hurt your game which it doesnt sound like that is the case. gl at the tables
Old 02-02-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The pure freaking nuts

(First post I read since the last time I saw it for the first time [if that makes any sense])
Old 02-02-2005, 03:03 AM

the shirt actually says (i dont know if you can read it) "save a VIRGIN do me instead." now that you know i think it just went from top boat to quads.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:16 AM

I don't think your problems have anything to do
with poker, dude.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with poker, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they do. I have no issues in any other part of my life. I am happy and successful. Poker turns me into the damn Hulk though (except for the being green and huge part).
Old 02-02-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with poker, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they do. I have no issues in any other part of my life. I am happy and successful. Poker turns me into the damn Hulk though (except for the being green and huge part).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you playing? Not trying to antagonize. Serious question.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with poker, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you playing? Not trying to antagonize. Serious question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Primarily for the money, but also because I enjoy the game for the most part. I suppose I am well paid, but poker adds about 50-60k per year to my bottom line, tax free (I live in Canada). It's really nice to have that money come in. In addition, I really do enjoy the strategy of poker, and getting better at it makes me happy. I intend to play somewhat high stakes at some point in my life, and enter the tournament scene when the money is no longer an issue.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:20 AM

zen and the art of poker would probably be a helpful read, as would the psychology of poker. Non-poker related there's a great book called anger by thich nhat hanh that I'm currently reading that is highly recommend.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:34 AM

I'm no psychologist, but is it possible that the reason you get so mad at poker is that you keep such close control on your emotions at all other times? I have a vision of you coming home from being a lawyer (which is a pretty stressful job), then relaxing, slouching in the chair, firing up the poker site and then letting it all go.

If this is the case then it may be healthy.