Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Darn bottom set

How do I get out of situations like this?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($5.70)
Hero ($27.10)
MP2 ($11.40)
CO ($10)
Button ($11.85)
SB ($27.15)
BB ($24.65)
UTG ($17.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.8</font>, BB calls $0.80, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.80, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $3.5</font>, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero ???
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Darn bottom set

Egads. Tough spot, looks a lot like a flush, but I play it the same, and then push when it comes back to you.

If he's got the flush, it's a $2 mistake as opposed to folding, so as long as there's a small chance you are ahead, against say AxQ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], then it's ok I reckon. A higher set is way unlikely.

I don't think flat-calling is any better, because he will most likely bet the turn with a flush, and you only have 7 outs to fill on the turn

So unless you are 100% sure he has the flush, I push.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 PM

You really need to raise this flop. Push when it gets back to you. This looks exactly like a good ace trying to protect its hand.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:05 PM

yah i agree-

a big re-rz or push here i think.
i dont think someone who flopped nuts is gonna play it that fast. he cdould have a weaker flush and just trying to get higher cards out and wion right there.

even if he calls you have a decent cvhance of pairing the board. so with your chancxes of winning, along with chances that you are already ahead... id put some heat on him.

some reads on players would help here too...

sly
Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 PM

yep, push. You're not really afraid of a higher set, and even if he hit his flush, you have at least 7 outs on the turn to fill up, and you have even more if the turn is a blank.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really need to raise this flop. Push when it gets back to you. This looks exactly like a good ace trying to protect its hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with calling and waiting for a non-spade turn to bet/raise?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:09 PM

This might be a tougher spot if villain is deeper. He isn't, so I push and hope to fill up. He could be doing this with a number of hands you beat, a big spade, pair+ a big spade, or a less likely two pair. The doubt about whether or not he's flopped a flush makes me lean towards pushing.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:11 PM

Pushing is fairly extreme when all he raised to was $3.50. If you get called after you pushed, what do you think he'll call with? A flush and thats you almost dead. A large enough reraise would tell you if he has it right now and you can fold in the face of a reraise all-in avoiding excessive losses.

Edit: He's almost pot commited.... forget what i said
Old 10-24-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

some reads on players would help here too...

sly

[/ QUOTE ]

I had nothing - been at the table for 2 minutes and he folded both hands.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing is fairly extreme when all he raised to was $3.50. If you get called after you pushed, what do you think he'll call with? A flush and thats you almost dead. A large enough reraise would tell you if he has it right now and you can fold in the face of a reraise all-in avoiding excessive losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

A large enough reraise is pretty much all in for villain. If its not, he'll come over the top with his petty chips anyway.