Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Are HUD displays useful?

It's another program that draws more stuff on the party/empire/etc windows. Usually opponents stats like how many hands they play, how often they raise, etc. The Zoo will have plenty of info.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's another program that draws more stuff on the party/empire/etc windows. Usually opponents stats like how many hands they play, how often they raise, etc. The Zoo will have plenty of info.

[/ QUOTE ]

You run it while you are playing I gather?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:57 AM

Yes, and it overlays (paints over) the screen with the statistics of your opponents near their name (or wherever you move the boxes).
Old 07-19-2005, 09:06 AM

I use one and find it useful, but not hugely useful. If in the middle rounds I have 40 hands total on someone and see that they have limped in 16% of the time and raised 0% then they fire a raise in the CO and I am on the button, I muck something like AQ or 88 (even JJ probably) pretty quickly. If the same person raised 15% of the time, I am probably pushing to isolate them. I 8 table, so I would probably be hard pressed without the HUD to know in the first case that the person had been a complete rock so far and could easily make a mistake there and take way the worst of it.

If I had to guess, I would say it comes in handy on about 3% of my decisions, and very handy in less than 1%, but those are just wild guesses.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:13 AM

I agree that they are useful, but they are only one part of the puzzle. It gives a very rough sketch of my opponent.

But I definately have used it to call an all-in from a maniac where I would have folded otherwise etc.

Of course most players change pace during a SnG and you have to pay attention to it. Rocks starts pushing crap and donks tighten up when on the bubble.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:13 AM

Because most players don't really adjust their game as time goes on, you can usually get a pretty accurate feel for the players in the first few rounds when you're folding almost everything anyway - even 8-tabling. There's a decent amount of downtime in the beginning to get to know your opponents.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what do the people who 8-table and 12-table do? Just pay attention to all the tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 4-table SNG's now and plan on moving to 6 and then 8 tables pretty soon and can't imagine that they will be of any use.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:43 PM

I use PV, but really only so I can see who I have played with a few times so I can pay a little more attention to them since its more likely I will run into them again.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:50 PM

I sometimes use Poker Office for this....the thing is, VPIP isn't necessarily a helpful metric unless you already have played with a player and know whether he's loose early or late or both or whatever....

I find the most useful metric is preflop raise %. It will help me keep an eye on players who I probably have the best opportunity to play back at with my good but not great hands.

It's far from necessary to have the stats available though...*much* more important in limit.

Yugoslav
Old 07-19-2005, 05:37 PM

your either very funny or very misguided, cant decide.

Steve