Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 12:45 AM

Default He definitely flopped a set, because...

Teddy flopped a set, and this is why: In both of their poker scenes together, Teddy and Mike are constantly talking about hands they don't have, or hands they're not really afraid the other guy has (Mike: I'm gonna go all in, 'cause I don't think you've got the spades). This would be a prime example of the "amateur tells" thebroker referred to. Thus, KGB actually puts Mike on top pair or some other hand he might call with, and the table talk is to indicate that he might be bluffing. It's actually kind of cool from a narrative point of view, as Teddy mirrors Mike's arrogance from the opening scene.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:50 AM

Default One other symbolism observation for us film geeks

I love how in the very beginning, Mike has his bankroll hidden in all the books, videos, etc. that he's studied to get to where he is. I think this is to show that these books are literally worth a fortune to the serious player.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:28 AM

Default now thats funny

Old 11-24-2002, 05:37 AM

Default Re: TeddyKGB\'s last hand in Rounders

I just now re-watched Rounders. The first time I saw it was before I knew much about poker, so this whole thread would have been way over my head.

The screen shot is no help in deciding what Teddy KGB has. He throws the whole deck against the felt, scattering cards everywhere. The black card over Mike's shoulder is the 8S, which was one of Mike's pocket cards. The other one looks like the 9H. KGB's pocket cards are still sitting at his chair, undisturbed, when his goons start racking the chips.

If I had to guess, I would say KGB has T7, "top two pair", since they make such a big deal out of top two throughout the movie.

BTW Seidel's hand was QC 7H.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:17 PM

It does seem like he was trying to buy the pot.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:18 PM

I believe that KGB reloaded again and they didn't show it. I always wondered that myself. Often in movies they will edit, what seems, trivial scenes, such as this possibility.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:33 PM

Teddy does not really think mike is drawing here. He knows mike has a hand. Teddy though, has a better hand, than what he is putting mike on. He probably believes mike has two pair, or a small set, and teddy has TT or like someone said AT. Fact is, teddy is trying to set mike up the whole way, as he did in the first hand. "That was a position bet, I call", and Teddy has AA, and his play right there is what wins him mike's stack. He simply is trying to do that to mike again, only this time, mike outplays teddy. It shows that mike is at a different level now. He is now no longer a 10-20 soft seat in queens player, but a high limit poker player. I've heard people say that it's unrealistic cause teddy would never fall for such weak tell and weak false tells. Here's a hand I played:
20-40. I have KTs on the button. One limper, to me, I raise. Local pro in BB calls. Flop T64. Two spades. Checked to me, I bet, both call. Turn is a 6. Checked to me, I bet, BB raises, limper calls, I call. River is a T. As soon as the T hit, I make a gesture and put my head in my hands for a second. BB bets out, limper raises, I 3bet, both call and both had a 6.
This was one of the first times I moved up to 20-40. The pro was a better player than me at that time, but I outplayed him, with a pretty obvious false tell.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:44 PM

Default Those darn Oreos!

I'm giving them up, cost me a pot last night.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:48 AM

I wish I played in a game where the "Pro's" call a raise and a reraise with a 6 on a board of T T 6 6 4.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:39 PM

My opinion on two things -

1) Nothing in the movies happens by accident. If it's written into the script, then it's there on purpose and it means something. The final hand obviously replays the 88 World Series (albeit with slightly different cards) so I would say it's fair to say KGB has top pair with a poor kicker. That would be my guess anyways, for no other reason than it keeps the symetry going - - am I right that Seidel held top pair with a poor kicker? All this ignores the difference in betting - - 88 world series had checks on the flop and turn, I believe, but still. Following the symetry, I put KGB on top pair.

2) The winning amount has always bothered me. Mike seemed to have won an extra $20,000. As someone pointed out, KGB probably did simply get more chips, --except-- he's a little too cocky to justify being down an additonal 20 grand. Remember him talking about how Mike must be "kicking himself for not walking out" when he had the chance... but Mike did tell him "reload at any time," which fits, I suppose.

What gets me is first hand where Mike taps out KGB. He calls a hefty bet and get's beat by top-pair, plus the pair on the board. I can justify the final hand easier than this... We never see either hand, of course.