Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 10:59 PM

Default not invited back!!!???

The other night i was invited to a game by a friend. It was apparently a "friendly" game. To me that means that everyone is friends and nice to each other and generally lax. The regulars obviously have a different meaning. I played my normal aggressive game, raising three dollars into the dollar fifty pot often. I made a nice profit of fifty dollars for the game and i thought that it was all good; the players were marvelling when i kept turning over flush after full house after straight. Later, my friend informs me that i am not invited back because of my aggressive play and success.

Is there any way to foresee such a reaction? Is there anything that i can do to make a future group see that this is just part of the game? Should i play less win less and be less aggressive to make friendly and stay in the game?

Jake
Old 04-14-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: not invited back!!!???

They're just sore losers and you should always play to win. If they ban you from the game I would spread word about their player selection. See who else wants play with them then.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:30 AM

I pretty sure that there is at least one entire book dedicated to keeping a poker game or poker games alive. I believe it defines/suggests a strategy to not break your opponents and such so as to keep a game going for as long (as many days, months, years) as possible. I would think it also would include some content on not dominating a home game your 1st time there so you will be invited back. The point being to take more money from these people methodically over time as opposed to one big score. I haven't read it and don't even remember what it's called, but it may be worth looking into.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty sure that there is at least one entire book dedicated to keeping a poker game or poker games alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter O. Steiner's "Thursday Night Poker" is a good read. It is not exactly about keeping a home game alive from an organizer's perspective, but discusses how to play to win with a regular crowd without losing your invite.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:28 AM

lmfao i've been in a similiar situation...but the guys are so rich it doesn't matter to them..they just wanna beat me, but they can't! WESTSIDE TIL I DIE!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:50 AM

Spread the word about the game and how they only want players they can beat etc...

From the sound of it and the fact you only made $50 in a night, I would leave the game as it can't be profitable if a full table is overly concerened with losing $50 amongst all the players. Sore losers...at least they didn't demand their money back.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I made a nice profit of fifty dollars for the game

[/ QUOTE ]

You can sheer a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From the sound of it and the fact you only made $50 in a night, I would leave the game as it can't be profitable if a full table is overly concerened with losing $50 amongst all the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed
Old 04-15-2005, 02:56 PM

not to question your attitude. I'm just giving this as an example. My last tournament, the guy that came in 2nd was completely arrogant. He definetly knew how to play cards, and was very aggressive. But i asked that he not come back because he started taunting people when he busted them out and would basically yell at people if they raised him. He also got very very drunk. Again, I don't mind if people drink, but I can't have lound drunk guys yelling at my regulars when I got kids sleeping upstairs. Twice I had to tell him to sit down an relax.

So i'm sure he assumes that he isn't invited back because he won a good chunk of money, it was the fact that he was a loud mouth ass.

Again.. please don't read this as me saying you did any of these things. I'm just pointing out an example of where I banned a guy that came to my house and won a bunch of money. And to point out that if you are at a new game... and won some money.. keep low.. and humble.

Probably a good way to get invited back is if you have them convinced that is was by pure luck that you won some money. <WITH PITTIFULL LOOK ON FACE>"Wow, I'm sorry, I've never caught cards like this before."

But.. I never win, so I never have this problem. Stupid pocket jacks! DAMN THEM! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:53 PM

I've run three different games since 1975. In every case, I clearly set expectations for both the "house" and the players upfront. Since no one has ever been shot, I think it worked.

In the current game, I am far and away the best player. An incident at our inaugural game gave me a clue as to how to handle things for this particular group.

"Big Jim" ran his mouth from the opening deal. Told us about his frequent trips to Vegas and the other poker games he's in and on and on. Also stated the 72o was "his favorite hand". About 20 hands in, he and I got heads up on a small pot. I folded a decent hand and he showed the bluff with 72. I set him up pretty well and got all of his money...about $90 on a straight against his set of 7s...about 2 hours later. Now, if I rub it in, this guy never comes back. I just said "nice hand...lucky me, etc." and went on.

He's there nearly every week. He's down about $1500 to the game...and loves it.

We have a couple of good "book" players who can't keep from tilting and the rest are good to very good players with good experience.

After 10 sessions, I had won every time. Sometimes the big winner, sometimes #2 or #3.

I didn't want to lose a cash register group like this, so I started the rope-a-dope. Win early, go defensive, and avoid busting anyone out before 10:00. No one has ever complained about me or my play, so I'm happy, they're happy, and I have a good supply of petty cash. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Do I want to do the line from UHF (you're stupid...you're so, so STUPID!) from time to time? Yup. BUT, that would virtually guarantee me having to find another group to play with and that's too much like work!