Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Default KJs Preflop - Let\'s review

I've been practicing KJs today, as it were. Loaded up Wilson's Turbo and I'm just playing a hundred or two hands of it, seeing what interests me. Trying to master those good but not great hands such as KJs and AQo. I'm relatively confident in my postflop play with KJs, I just want to make sure I'm not making poor decisions with the hand preflop.

All things being equal, consider table to be a standard Party 2/4 semi-loose aggressive with a few donators.

Scenario 1

Tight-passive/aggressive opens from UTG+2. He will do this with AA-TT, AKs-AJs, AKo-AQo.

Loose-aggressive MP1 cold calls. He will do this with any pair, any suited ace and quite a few offsuit, Kxs, Qxs, and suited connectors down to about 65s and 85s. He's essentially looking for ways to give away his money.

I'm in MP3, should I call two cold here? There's a good chance I'm dominated, but is my hand strong enough to sneak in with?

Scenario 2

Folded to me in UTG+2, open raise?

Scenario 3

I'm on the button. A thinking TAG from 2+2 raises from UTG+1. I'd normally call on the button no problem, but this time it's folded around to me. Without dead money to pad the pot, should I be folding this, or is it still a call?

How about in the small blind?

How about in the big blind?

Scenario 4

I limp UTG. UTG+2 (loose-aggressive) limps, MP1 (thinking TAG) raises, MP2 (also a thinking TAG) 3-bets. MP3 and Button cold call all 3 and big blind call. I've got 8:1 immediate odds and bad position throughout the hand. Call or let this go preflop?

Scenario 5

I'm in the big blind. MP2 limps and the button limps. Is my edge large enough here to raise? I would in a heartbeat with AJs, but how's KJs looking?

In all scenarios, let's discuss why one action is better than another, not just what that action is. If the given action is 'call', what would change about the situation to make it a raise or a fold? If it's a fold, what would change to make it a call? That kind of thing. Let's analyze KJs in far more depth than we ever cared to.