Default Re: Favorite Music While Playing

Instrumentals and 9 minute long prog songs
Old 11-28-2005, 05:52 PM

For energy: Juno Reactor and The Prodigy
To relax: Orbital and various classical stuff
Old 11-28-2005, 07:05 PM

Anything by Mike Patton is good if you want to go on instant tilt and lose your bankroll

the mr bungle - california cd is key.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:36 PM

I have this strange mix on my iPod as we speak that includes Hawthorne Heights, 3 Doors Down, Eminem and Common
Old 11-28-2005, 09:04 PM

Lately it's Beck, Dinosaur Jr and Primus.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy jazz from the 40's-60's while I am playing. Currently in the rotation are several Miles Davis CD's, Art Blakey, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk, Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker and Max Roach.

For reasons unbeknownst to me I am able to focus and relax more listening to jazz as opposed to other styles of music that I find enjoyable. The one exception is that my favorite Art Tatum CD's "20th Century Piano Genius" is far too distracting to listen to while playing poker. The guy performs some inhuman things on the piano that demand the listeners full attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that Tatum album is distracting, try "Piano Starts Here". I actually quit playing piano for a year after I first heard that album as a teenager. I figured, "Why bother?"

I like to listen to early-to-mid-period Trane when I play, but the late period stuff doesn't work well for me while playing poker. Pharaoh Sanders on saxophone and tracking folded cards in stud hi-low are not a good mix, I've found. For similar reasons, although I idolize Ornette Coleman, I rarely if ever listen to him while playing poker. Hip hop I also can't really listen to while playing, since the music is so much more lyric-intensive than other genres.

Crowded House, Split Enz, Finn Brothers, etc. (i.e., anything with Neil Finn) seems to work well for me. So, for some reason, does Slayer. Turned up very, very loud. I think it might be because albums like "Reign in Blood" and "God Hates Us All" are SO intense that they tend to blot out all other distractions and allow me to concentrate better on the game. NYC hardcore bands like Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, Warzone, H20, Snapcase (yes, I know, they're from Buffalo) and Murphy's Law tend to have that same effect, so I listen to them a lot too.

--Scott
Old 12-02-2005, 12:48 PM

I like listening to Jazz and Nature sounds while playing poker, really relaxes me. Common is good too.

I would never listen to that outside of poker, though, its pretty funny. Tupac and Nas dont help my poker play that much.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 PM

Blind Willie Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, Miles Davis, Jeff Beck, Red Sovine, Buddy Guy, Joe Pass, Bob Dylan, Duke Ellington, Van Halen, Charles Mingus, early Peter Green & Johnny Winter of late.

YMMV.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:11 PM

I listened to Beck's new album Guero exclusively when it first came out. I must have logged 15k hands listening to Guero.