Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 02:05 PM

Default higher BB/100 rate at six-max versus higher rake

I've never bothered trying to figure out rake issues, so bear with me.

I assume that six-max players pay more rake than full-table players. I also assume that someone who is equally proficient at full tables and six-max would have a higher bb/100 rate at six-max. If these assumptions are correct, is it possible to know whether the increased rake one pays offsets the increased edge?

To put it differently, can one figure out how much more a six-max player would have to earn in order to offset the higher rake?

And has anyone tried to figure these questions out as far as they apply to themselves?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: higher BB/100 rate at six-max versus higher rake

Ummm... I'm pretty sure BB/100 is the bottom line, that figure includes the the rake.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:18 PM

Well, whether or not PT defines bb/100 to include rake, I think you understand the question.

If a good player makes the +x more in bb/100 NOT counting rake at six-max than full table, at what point does the rake become so much higher proportionally at six-max to discount their edge at six-max skillwise?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:39 PM

I dont really see what the point of this question is...

If full games make you .1 BB/100 more than 6max are you gonna switch back?

You get roughly 1.6x as many hands per hour at 6max so if you are a winner and care about making money the main thing you should worry about is increasing the 100s.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You get roughly 1.6x as many hands per hour at 6max so if you are a winner and care about making money the main thing you should worry about is increasing the 100s.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes no sense at all. If you are making .1BB/100 more at full handed and want to "increase the 100s" open 2 fullhanded tables. Thats more hands, more income, and less participation you actually have to put in, since full handed you'll be playing 15/11 or whatever.

Play what you like. Get rakeback.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:59 PM

My PT BB/100 is about the same in 6-max as in full handed (though variance is a bitch). However, I pay much more in rake since I'm getting 1/6th of the rake counted as my contribution each time. The net effect is:

1) My pre-rakeback BB/100 is the same
2) My rakeback is significantly larger
3) Since 6-max plays faster against fewer opponents, I play fewer tables than I did 10-handed, which I think is helping my hand reading ability.

All in all, 6-max is better for me than 10-handed.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:53 PM

The rake is the same/pot size. The difference really is your higher VPIP and your losses in the blinds. Considering PT takes rake out AFTER considering your rake, a 2 BB/100 winrate is GREATER shorthnaded than a 2 BB/100 full table, as your getting almost 100 hands/table/hr.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes no sense at all. If you are making .1BB/100 more at full handed and want to "increase the 100s" open 2 fullhanded tables. Thats more hands, more income, and less participation you actually have to put in, since full handed you'll be playing 15/11 or whatever.

Play what you like. Get rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you wouldnt expect a 2BB/100 winner to see increased profit by getting more hands in?

extreme example: lets say i can fit 8 tables on my monitors and feel comfortable...480 hands per hour or 700 hands per hour. If you are winning 2 BB/100 i think that the 50% increase in hands played (not even metioning incresed rakeback) is gonna make 6 max the very easy choice.

compare apples to apples--you cant say more hands per hour isnt an important factor cause you could just play two full tables compared to one 6max table.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM

The hands/hr difference is certainly significant, and true for a single session. But the ability to play up to 10 tables on Party, which is significantly easier playing ring than short, can potentially make up this ground and then some. A lot depends on expected BB/100 in full vs. ring, rakeback, and game selection/availability.

It seems that a very good 5/10 ring 8-tabler can expect to earn significantly more than a 5/10 SH 4-tabler, and with less variance.