Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 10:23 AM

Default ITM Hand - Good/Bad fold?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed) converter

Button (t1155)
Hero (t3240)
BB (t3605)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t600) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: (t600) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, BB calls t600.

River: (t1800) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t1000</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2800

($30+3)
I figured I was probably way behind with the kicker, or villain has the 9. I figured with my stack, I could find a better hand. No reads. Did I give this hand away?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: ITM Hand - Good/Bad fold?

I think the fold was fine. Why did he call on the turn? He likely has a flush draw or a hand better than yours.

btw - What's with the completion from the SB?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Remote chance that you guys would have chopped the hand, but likely he had the flush draw or even the 9. I'd do the same, except the SB complete and maybe a 3/4 pot bet on the turn.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:17 AM

btw your default play here against most internet oppponents should be to bet about 400 on the flop. They fold with great frequency.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:18 AM

Even though you're getting close to 3-1 here, you're probably toast.

I'd fold, however I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Villian was on a bluff and stole your lunch.

Related on the hand.

I don't love completing with K3. To be honest, unless I'm varying my bets to 'mix it up' a bit, I don't love just completing here in any event.

First, K3o is a real problem hand. Heads up, you're probably ahead, but other than KK, 33 or K3, what flops are you going to like? With almost anything else, I'm thinking fold if I get any pressure from BB at all.

In a situation like this, if I've decided not to fold, I'm raising at least 75-80% of the time. How much I raise depends on my read on the player. If I think BB is likely to fold to a mini-raise, maybe try that 50-75% of the time with 2x-3x big blind the remainder. If I think BB will aggressively defend, I'm thinking more of folding here, though more likely I'll raise 2x-3x big blind.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:21 AM

I think calling preflop is fine, and I think raising preflop is fine. This decision would be based on my feel for how the BB was playing. If I had more chips than my opponent I'd be a lot more likely to raise something and expect them to fold.

Here, without any information, I'd generally prefer to call preflop. If my opponent failed to raise me after my limp, I would bet out on a good % of flops. If it came 986 I'd probably check, but when it comes 992 I'm going to bet. This advice relates mainly to lower limit games, where your opponent's won't be too fancy, but it should usually be profitable to play this way against most opponents even at the $200s.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:23 AM

I'd raise to 800 here preflop.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

btw your default play here against most internet oppponents should be to bet about 400 on the flop. They fold with great frequency.

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to try this play way more often. K high probably would be the best hand here on the flop most of the time anyways, but sometimes I just hate putting myself in a tough spot here if called as most of the time I wouldn't know what to do on the turn unimproved. I'd most likely fire a second bet but I'd hate doing it. Same line you take?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:26 AM

Your hand doesnt matter on the flop. Usuaully you should give up if called on the flop and just check/fold the turn. The point is that the pot is 600, and after you bet 400, most opponents will fold well over 50% of the time.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Your hand doesnt matter on the flop. Usuaully you should give up if called on the flop and just check/fold the turn. The point is that the pot is 600, and after you bet 400, most opponents will fold well over 50% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my mistake then. I'll try this way later today and see how it goes. Thanks for the new toy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]