Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 02:07 AM

Default Some fundamental differences.

A lot of new people here since I last posted in this forum.

One thing to bear in mind when reading my posts (as will become apparent, if it isn't already) is that I believe in getting into the money then 'getting lucky'.

In the long run, this EV is very similar to that of those who play well 'to win', but may result in discussions between myself, and people such as Jason which on the face of it say totally opposing things, but are actually both correct within your adopted course of play.

One of THE most important things in a SNG is to have a plan, it is no use, for instance, randomly throwing in a raise with A8o on one orbit when you have chips because Jason said you should, and then folding it on the next because I said you shouldn't.

The reasons behind both plays are usually posted, and you should consider WHY you are making this move at a given time.

This will explain some apparently totally opposite views on the matter and it is the reasons you should try to understand rather than just making the plays (I have posted rants on this issue in the past in SS and micro forums)

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Some fundamental differences.

Lori,

I think you are absolutely right. It is essential that you have a plan for each one of your hands.

[ QUOTE ]
One of THE most important things in a SNG is to have a plan, it is no use, for instance, randomly throwing in a raise with A8o on one orbit when you have chips because Jason said you should, and then folding it on the next because I said you shouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo,

-Jason

P.S. dont stop posting here
Old 08-18-2004, 02:30 AM

Just wanted to say that I've seen a lot of your posts in the archives and I definitely want to thank you for improving my game in past months.

I do think that if you keep posting again, we're going to wind up disagreeing a lot due to the game conditions, but please don't take that the wrong way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I do appreciate the discussion.

And yes, a plan is a must for any given hand.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:38 AM

I don't mind constructive critisism or a good debate one bit.

If I get rather abrasive in this forum it is because I developed rather a lack of respect for some of the regulars when I used to sneak around here, and I still kind of smash my keyboard when I type in here.

I never mean to offend (actually, occasionally I do, but when I do you know about it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) but I do say what I think, which can be both good and bad at times.

Thanks for the kind words, for anyone hunting through the largely zoo posts between myself and lorinda (who are the same poster), I would recommend the rant series and virtually nothing else if hunting for strategy related stuff.

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 02:46 AM

Lori,

Great to see you posting around here.
This forum needs you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Too many bad-beat posts, too much bad and inaccurate advice.

I know you felt our pain. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(There are of course some great posters here, who know I truely respect them, so no insults intended).

Welcome.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:48 AM

Hi again Mantis, I hear you've become rather good yourself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Those damned JJ hands, drag me in every time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 03:09 AM

Yes, I guess I'm a bit better now, especially in getting into fights, developing the same disrespect you were talking about, and making some people dislike me for stuff I say.

It's a great honour.

About poker, I don't know. Too much thinking to do... Too many variables... Very little information... And it's all rigged anyway, so what's the point, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 03:16 AM

Completely rigged. Did you know I lost 98% of my coin flips this month? I should move to riverstars.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 AM

No, you don't want to move to riverstars, because Utah proved their tournament dealing is "inaccurate", since his last 137 all-in results were in the 0.08 something, or 0.0017 or 0.24234 or who knows. Nobody actually knows. So be careful.

Seriously though, the SNGs on stars and party are two COMPLETELY different games. It's not about adjusting to this or that field etc. It is a whole different approach to the game. It is worth moving between the sites only to realize this, and to understand how the stack you start with (which is 1.5 to 1.875 times bigger), the rhythm of the blinds and the different nature of your opponents, can make even the most simple decisions very much different.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:03 AM

I think us noobs should send $$ by paypal to all good posters to encourage more of these...please post more