Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 03:02 AM

Default AK top two...too aggro?

Villain in this hand is OK. Hasn't been too crazy or anything. I think he is a little on the loose side, but probably has the right amount of aggression with his decent hands. Sorry, no PT stats.

Party full 3/6. I raise UTG or UTG+1 with AKo. Folded to LP who three-bets. Folded to me and I call.

Flop AKTr. I check, he bets, I check-raise, he three-bets, I cap, he calls.

Turn 2. I check-raise again.

Good, or not good?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: AK top two...too aggro?

Bet the turn. If you cap and check too often the turn checks through because your opponent is afraid... you guessed it... of getting check-raised again.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:16 AM

FPS

just bet the turn and get your value

what if he has AQ/AJ ? there's 7 bets in there I don't want to give a free card here
Old 12-26-2005, 03:19 AM

Yeah, once you have check raised the first time the second is just to be checked through.

I would also say that you might be in trouble here if he was not concerned that he was check raised on the flop.

If I had to guess we are facing a villian with trips or a straight.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:10 AM

Ugh, you capped the flop and checked the turn! You're lucky it didn't get checked through. Bet the turn!
Old 12-26-2005, 04:10 AM

First off when I have no read on the villain, I assume he will play his hand somewhat logically. Since you raised from early position, your opponents 3 bet has more meaning. Since he knows you have a strong hand, his 3 betting range is likely to be tigher than usual. I would initially put him on TT-AA and AK. (You said the villain was loose, but you didnt say he was a loose raiser so I will stay with this tight range)

Once you get to the flop, I like your checkraise, but once the villain 3 bets, what hand are you ahead of here? IF he has QQ or JJ, I dont see him 3 betting this flop, the only other hands he can have that make sense are AA,KK,TT or AK. Notice, you are losing or tied against all these hands. After youre 3 bet on the flop all you really have is a crying call all the way down, theres no point in putting any more money in the pot than you have to.

Now if you think AQ is also in the opponents range here, then you should bet the turn with the intention of calling a raise. Going for the checkraise would be bad here, since there is a serious risk that you will be 3 bet by a better hand given the flop play, or if the villain has a hand like AQ he may be smart enough to check behind.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 AM

I agree with Westley, I think you're in trouble after the flop 3bet.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FPS

just bet the turn and get your value

what if he has AQ/AJ ? there's 7 bets in there I don't want to give a free card here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree it was stupid. I spooked him enough on the flop into checking behind AQ and AJ too often on the turn to make this any good.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had to guess we are facing a villian with trips or a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is halfway decent, I doubt he's 3-betting QJ.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First off when I have no read on the villain, I assume he will play his hand somewhat logically. Since you raised from early position, your opponents 3 bet has more meaning. Since he knows you have a strong hand, his 3 betting range is likely to be tigher than usual. I would initially put him on TT-AA and AK. (You said the villain was loose, but you didnt say he was a loose raiser so I will stay with this tight range)

Once you get to the flop, I like your checkraise, but once the villain 3 bets, what hand are you ahead of here? IF he has QQ or JJ, I dont see him 3 betting this flop, the only other hands he can have that make sense are AA,KK,TT or AK. Notice, you are losing or tied against all these hands. After youre 3 bet on the flop all you really have is a crying call all the way down, theres no point in putting any more money in the pot than you have to.

Now if you think AQ is also in the opponents range here, then you should bet the turn with the intention of calling a raise. Going for the checkraise would be bad here, since there is a serious risk that you will be 3 bet by a better hand given the flop play, or if the villain has a hand like AQ he may be smart enough to check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points everywhere here. I thought it donked this hand up pretty bad, now I know.