Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-09-2005, 08:45 PM

Default A chat with Bernard Lee.

Finished 13th in the 2005 WSOP ME. Had a blog on Stars.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9800

Hurry and get it while it's still free. Nothing phenomenal, but still interesting.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: A chat with Bernard Lee.

[ QUOTE ]
Finished 13th in the 2005 WSOP ME. Had a blog on Stars.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9800

Hurry and get it while it's still free. Nothing phenomenal, but still interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I found interesting was that he's going to have a column twice a week in the Boston Herald.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:48 AM

What I really found interesting is the fact that nobody ever takes the "good family man" to task for being absurd.

Yes, it's nice that you love your kids.

However, it is also creepy and weird that you slobber all over a picture of them all the time, particularly when you seem to be hoping for luck.

"God, please watch me put my saliva on this picture of my children while I am on television, so that you might see the depths of my love for my children and grant me a good flop, turn, and river..."

Blecch.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I really found interesting is the fact that nobody ever takes the "good family man" to task for being absurd.

However, it is also creepy and weird that you slobber all over a picture of them all the time, particularly when you seem to be hoping for luck.

"God, please watch me put my saliva on this picture of my children while I am on television, so that you might see the depths of my love for my children and grant me a good flop, turn, and river..."

Blecch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot [censored] on.

It would've been funny if they integrated him crying about his wife into a Milwaukee's Light commercial.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Blecch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to bet that if you qualify on line for pennies (compared to 10K) and get the point where you're guaranteed 400K, you'll do some stuff that we find silly also.
You do realize, that an amateur making it that far, is a lot like hitting the lottery, don't you?
Now, the Swede, who screamed at the top of his lungs, now, that was ridiculous, however, he was a lottery winner.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 AM

"brian(boston,ma): were there any players you sat next to that you were in aww of ?? thanks

Bernard Lee: (5:07 PM ET ) I was very fortunate that I had a lot of great table draws where I never had any of the pros that most people fear ie: Phil Ivey, Daniel Negreanu, Gus Hansen. However, there were three people tha tI played with during the tournament that I really appreciated their play and their comments. John Juanda, a guy who is not as well known, but Tommy Vu - my Marcel Luske to David Williams - he really helped me. The last guy is Joe Hachem, I had a lot of fun hanging out with Joe."

tommy vu! i hope he shared some of these nuggets of wisdom with bernie:

"Some of you have parents or grandparents who worked hard all their life and retired with almost nothing. You don't have to be like them."

"I never forget what my grandfather told me: There are two kind of people in life: the doer and the loser. Which one are you?"
Old 11-10-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Blecch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The other thing I found disturbing about him was that he felt he had to counsel all the people as they dropped out. Hey, give me a hand shake and say "nice run." You don't have to hug me and tell me how great I played, how tough a beat it was, blah, blah, blah. Let me leave with dignity and go cry on my own.

That said, I can't imagine the pressure involved at that point due to (1) you've been going at it for a week straight, and (2) there is a ton of money on the line. Pretty easy for me to nitpick here 3 months later. I'd love the chance to be in the same position to do otherwise.

NCAces
Old 11-10-2005, 01:36 PM

I, too, couldn't stand him flipping the fudge out everytime he survived an all-in or won one. Also KISS KISS KISS I LOVE YOU PICTURES KISS KISS - dear God, get over the spectacle aspect of it all and just play poker.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:57 PM

I liked Lee. He was humble, very easy to like, and didn't get out of line with his celebrations (with one exception, and even that wasn't too bad). I will cut him some slack regarding the family photos- with his wife's condition always on his mind, I can't blame a guy for drawing strength from his family. I would imagine that many of the posters who are so offended by this behavior aren't married or have kids.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to bet that if you qualify on line for pennies (compared to 10K) and get the point where you're guaranteed 400K, you'll do some stuff that we find silly also.
You do realize, that an amateur making it that far, is a lot like hitting the lottery, don't you?
Now, the Swede, who screamed at the top of his lungs, now, that was ridiculous, however, he was a lottery winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

This point is valid, except for the fact that he had obviously been doing it the whole time (not just after guaranteeing a big score).

I'll tell you, I really can't stand all of the mutual fellatio that goes on when someone busts out, either. Shake hands, well played, ok.

But there's no need for a Happy Ending. It's a poker tournament, not a massage parlor. Bernard looked like he was gonna start French kissing each departing contestant.