Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-28-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Ciaffone\'s Improve your Poker

"The Search Feature is your friend." Yeah, well I've tried it and I must stink at using it because I get a ton of hits for the word "poker" and "improve" but not much on this book. Who has it? How do you guys like it? How much would it help me advance my NL Hold'em game? Thanks for any responses. I've checked it out on his website, the table of contents that is, and it looks okay, but I still cannot grasp if it's based around limit or NL, probably a bit of both.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Ciaffone\'s Improve your Poker

I have it and and think it is great. It is a bunch of small chapters which I believe were articles collected together for the book.

It has content for both limit and no limit as well as some omaha, stud and split poker.

I mainly play NL hold'em and PLO and I get a good amount out of the book. For NL hold'em specifically it doesn't give as much as his NL/PL book with Stewart, but it is a nice addition.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The Search Feature is your friend." Yeah, well I've tried it and I must stink at using it because I get a ton of hits for the word "poker" and "improve" but not much on this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the looks of what you tried, maybe you do stink at using search! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can search for multiple word sequences by putting them in quotes. As in: "Improve Your Poker". You can also make sure every word is there, I think it's: +Improve +Poker.

I tried the former and got a thread that looked right, but I didn't check it out, so apologies if it's not helpful. Furthermore, apologies if you already know how to search. I'm posting this because if anyone who reads this can't use 2+2 search, they can't use google search, and that's the equivalent of being illiterate nowadays! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Mason gave it a 9 or 10. It richly deserves a 10 in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:24 PM

Man, maybe I have to give it a shot. It's probably not that easy to find. Anybody try Middle Limit Hold'em? It's strictly Limit, as the title implies right? Maybe I can learn some NL concepts through the limit hand examples from "the coach."
Old 12-28-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably not that easy to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Improve Your Poker, Bob Ciaffone
Old 12-29-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, maybe I have to give it a shot. It's probably not that easy to find. Anybody try Middle Limit Hold'em? It's strictly Limit, as the title implies right? Maybe I can learn some NL concepts through the limit hand examples from "the coach."

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who was fairly new to poker, "Middle Limit Hold'em" greatly improved my ability to read the board. In example after example they give reasons why you should hate your hand. (As has been pointed out, in order to get the most possible out of the book you need to be capable of understanding the reasons for their paranoia on the middle streets, but hold onto your hand anyway against certain opponents). Conversely, there are a couple of examples as to how you should be aggressive HU on the flop. So in that respect, it can help your NL game.

Reading a NL book would be a more direct method, though, of course.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 PM

Just buy it. The material is diverse, so its hard to imagine that you won't find something you like. Some of it is basic, but Bob is a good writer so you might enjoy a fresh presentation of things that you have read before. I enjoyed the whole book.