Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-15-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Which book to buy?

Hello,

My local bookstore doesn't have many poker books, so I'm kinda screwed. However, they have two that seem very similar to me. The first is called Winners Guide to Texas Hold 'em and the other is Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold 'em. They are both by the same author, but the 2nd book is thicker.

Is it worth the extra cash to get the bigger book? I'm trying to master poker as quickly as possible so I guess I should just get the thicker one and learn more but I'm not sure.

Sincerely,
Doug Bird
Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Which book to buy?

Neither.

Read this forum, and order some good books.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Nice troll.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:28 PM

I have read the smaller book but would not recommend Ken's books much. Which book to buy depends alot on what game you want to play but This is a good post by Ed Miller a 2+2 author who specializes in low limit play for new players. <u>Getting Started in Hold'em</u> is an excellent first book and contains sections on limit, no limit and tournament hold'em as well as "Further Reading" recomendations for each of these sections. If your bookstore does not have and cannot get these you can find them on bn.com or amazon.com Good luck!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:11 PM

If have played some holdem and want to get good then I would suggest ordering Small Stakes Holdem from Amazon. Its not a beginner book but if you read it and can grasp the concepts then you can become a winning player. (This book is for limit holdem which I suggest you learn first as it doesn't cost as much to learn as no-limit).
Old 12-23-2005, 03:07 PM

go to the bottom of this page right hand side.. click on 2+2 publishing
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 05:39 PM

Do not buy those books!
Old 12-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Hi Doug:

Cardoza Publishing is a competitor of ours and they are the publisher of the Warren books. But even with competitors, it is our policy to state that good books are good books. Unfortunately, we cannot make that statement here.

The two books that you should start with are Getting Started in Hold 'em by Ed Miller and Small Stakes Hold 'em by Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Mason Malmuth. You can order them both from this web site. Just click on "Order Form" near the bottom of the left hand column. You can also find them at most major book stores and Internet Book Sellers including Amazon.com, ConJelCo, Borders, Waldenbooks, Barnes &amp; Noble, Books-a-Million, etc.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-24-2005, 02:37 AM

If you want to start a fire, then yes, buy Ken Warren's books. Otherwise, you're better off saving your money and letting interest accumulate.

Or buy a 2+2 rated book. Your money will be well spent.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:25 PM

You didn't detail your experience level, but by the books you are choosing from I would guess you are a relatively new player to Hold'em. I have not read Miller's GSIH, but I have and continue to read SSH by Miller, Malmuth &amp; Sklansky. I would start out with one of the two beginner books that are considered best my most reviewers. The authors are Kreiger and Jones. Get the latest edition of either or both. SSH, while maybe the best book available, has concepts that are hard to grasp until you've spent some time playing. The two beginning books, with a little tweaking for the games you may play, should allow you to keep your bankroll in tact until you get some experience.

I recently purchased two books from TwoPlusTwo publishing. I am not affliated with them in any way, but I would like to take a second to relate my experience. I was looking for the Harrington books on No Limit. At a bookstore I could get both (there are two editions) but one of the two was in poor condition with the cover torn. I elected to order from TwoPlusTwo, mostly because I had grown frustrated in trying to find both editions elsewhere. I was surprised that my cost when ordering through my Neteller account was less even with shipping than I would have spent at the bookstore. Furthermore, when the books arrived they had been carefully packaged in a box and were in mint condition.

I've yet to crack them and continue instead to try to absorb all of the material in the postflop sections of SSH, but I will be unlikely to purchase poker books anywhere other than TwoPlusTwo, unless they don't carry a particular book I want.

Water16