Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Guns, Smoking, Drinking, and Sex

[ QUOTE ]

I am putting myself at risk for flames, insults, whatever for admitting that I am still a virgin, and not because I can't get a girl. The constant drumming of "abstain, abstain" has certainly done its job...I have passed up opportunities to have sex before...but given that I spend long months without any sort of physical interaction, am consistently frustrated, feel like a freak, and generally have to constantly fight off feelings of perversion and inadequacy, I now wonder if the strategy of my upbringing was the right one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo...coffee.

I was a virgin up until I met my wife. It is still the safest way not to get a STD and that is irrefutable. And whether people want to admit it or not, there is something to be said for looking into your spouses eyes and knowing that they are the only one you have been with...

BTW, flame away if you feel the need...[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Gryph
Old 11-02-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An interesting quote from The Federalist Patriot (a conservative journal):

"[N]o big deal. By definition, that's what a 'major social norm' is: no big deal. But in fact it is a big deal—whether the grown-ups in their lives are prepared to say so or not—when kids too young to lawfully buy a pack of cigarettes are routinely engaging in sexual activity that most of them don't yet have the maturity or understanding to handle. In its potential to inflict internal damage or cause lasting pain, sex far surpasses tobacco. But while kids are warned repeatedly and stridently about the dangers of smoking, school-age sex is widely regarded as inevitable. The same people who enforce 'zero-tolerance' strictures when it comes to guns and knives push a very different message when it comes to sex: Keep it 'safe' and legal, and you'll hear no complaints from us... Shouldn't those charged with the education of teenagers be pushing back against the relentless sexualization of the culture instead of knuckling under to it? With sex bombarding them everywhere they turn, don't kids need more than ever to be taught that sex is for grown-ups?... There is something awfully sad and strange about a culture in which teenage sex is condoned so long as it is 'safe,' while teenage smoking is denounced as categorically wrong. Sex has become a mere issue of health and the law, while morality is reserved for tobacco." —Jeff Jacoby

Does he have a point? If not, why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he does, it has nothing to do with government.

natedogg
Old 11-03-2005, 12:02 AM

No. Sex and smoking??

One is a natural human activity, the other is not.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Sex and smoking??

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the cowardly way out, imo. Both are choices you can make. You can choose to have sex and you can choose to smoke.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No. Sex and smoking??

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the cowardly way out, imo. Both are choices you can make. You can choose to have sex and you can choose to smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your response is more of a "cowardly way out" to be honest. You're right that they're both choices you can make, but there are important differences (and similarities, to be fair).

Here is the main difference that I see. My body tells me that I want to have sex, whether I've chosen to do it before or not. It certainly did before my first time, and it certainly does still. With smoking, I've never had any desire to try it. I never have, and I likely never will.

No matter how much you try to suppress it, kids are going to have sex. As long as it's done responsibly, I don't see any problem with that.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:13 AM

Guys, I understand the biological drive. But when coupled with the societal pressure to have sex, any will they might have is pretty much overriden, especially if the message they recieve from parents/teachers is "hey, as long as it's 'safe', go ahead." I think his point was, "Hey what if these kids are having sex more often because of society's willingness to excuse it?"

[ QUOTE ]
My body tells me that I want to have sex, whether I've chosen to do it before or not. It certainly did before my first time, and it certainly does still. With smoking, I've never had any desire to try it. I never have, and I likely never will.

[/ QUOTE ]
When my body tells me, "You have to piss." I don't just drop my pants and start going wherever I am, even though there is a strong biological urge to do so. Why? Because society has placed a fairly strong taboo on peeing in public. There's no push in society to excuse urinating in public, even though that's a biological urge that we all feel regardless of age or sex. My point is biological urges can be resisted if society is willing to discourage it. But if it's not or is sending mixed signals, then the biological urge will often trump societial pressure.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When my body tells me, "You have to piss." I don't just drop my pants and start going wherever I am, even though there is a strong biological urge to do so. Why? Because society has placed a fairly strong taboo on peeing in public.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, If your a teen you should only be having sex in doors and smoking should only be done outdoors.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're missing the point. I can say the same thing about cigarettes. Underage kids can find a way to get them so we might as well tell kids how to do so safely, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really post this? This was an accident, right? A weird 1 in a million thing that this statement appeared as a post in this thread under your name. I'm giving you the benefit the doubt on this one.

[ QUOTE ]
My point is biological urges can be resisted if society is willing to discourage it. But if it's not or is sending mixed signals, then the biological urge will often trump societial pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bit more reasonable. However, if pissing in public weren't a crime, people would be doing it. Believe me, I lived in Africa for a while and after a few months even I was pissing in the streets. Police officers piss in the street over there. And if pissing in the street was decriminalized here, in about 20 years, wherever there wasn't a toilet within 2 minutes, there'd be pissing. Go to a park even today, crime or not, people are outside pissing. Why? Because there are no toilets at the park and people can't hold it in forever. So my point is twofold, 1)to significantly reduce pre-marital sex you would have to make it a crime, enforce it, and regulate the entertainment industry and probably regulate girl/boy interactions as well. I don't think it's plausible. This is just an issue that preachers and politicians use to get people on their side.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if pissing in public weren't a crime, people would be doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree in the sense that a significant portion of society would piss in the street.

[ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I lived in Africa for a while and after a few months even I was pissing in the streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's all well and good but unless you haven't noticed, America is not Africa. The culture and social norms can be completely different.

[ QUOTE ]
So my point is twofold, 1)to significantly reduce pre-marital sex you would have to make it a crime, enforce it, and regulate the entertainment industry and probably regulate girl/boy interactions as well. I don't think it's plausible. This is just an issue that preachers and politicians use to get people on their side.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about pre-marital sex, I'm talking about pre-adult sex. And often pre-adult sex can be illegal (statutory rape, etc), yet that isn't stopping it.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, if pissing in public weren't a crime, people would be doing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree in the sense that a significant portion of society would piss in the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about my point about pissing in the park.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

So my point is twofold, 1)to significantly reduce pre-marital sex you would have to make it a crime, enforce it, and regulate the entertainment industry and probably regulate girl/boy interactions as well. I don't think it's plausible. This is just an issue that preachers and politicians use to get people on their side.

I'm not talking about pre-marital sex, I'm talking about pre-adult sex. And often pre-adult sex can be illegal (statutory rape, etc), yet that isn't stopping it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think pre-1960's teenage sex was much more uncommon. Girls didn't want to get a reputation and so demanded marriage b4 they agreed to it. But that was during the televisions infancy. And since TV learned that sex sells, they have been pushing the envelope ever since. As Americans have gotten more used to where the envelope is, so have sexual permissiveness changed. The only solution is to regulate the entertainment industry. Good luck!