Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 07:48 PM

Default What\'s the most you\'ve been stuck for... $1 million dollars?

What is the most you have found yourself stuck for in just one night of poker... $100, $500, maybe $1000?

Well, how would you handle being stuck $1 million dollars in just one night :shock:...

To make it clear, I have no doubts about Negreanu's poker playing abilities, so I am not critising him at all. I am simply in awe at the amounts that big time pros play for...

Here is the recent excerpt from Daniel Negreanu's Daily Poker Blog...

I knew that the 4000-8000 mixed game was schedule to start at around 2:00pm today...

... When I sat down it was pretty much the same old crew, Doyle Brunson, Eli Elezra, Chau Giang, Gus Hansen, Chip Reese, and Phil Ivey. Before I sat down I'd already decided that I was going to play a long session and hopefully make a big score.

Well, so much for the "big score" plan. About 10 hours into play I was down about half a million dollars. Most of the high limit players were flying out in the morning to head back to Vegas, so at 5:00am it was just the losers left...

... Gus, Phil, and myself all decided to stay in San Diego all day and keep playing. Each of us was stuck (still losing) but I was clearly in the worst shape. At my low point, I topped the
1.3 million dollar mark...

... Nevertheless, I would have been happy to lose less than a million since I won $600,000 the night before. -$300,000 over two days wouldn't be all that bad I thought...

...So I kept plugging away and by hour number 25 I was within about $900,000 of being even. After winning two hundred thousand in a three way capped pot in pot limit Omaha I was back in business...

...After that pot I went on a rush of a lifetime. Not only did I get back within half a million, after 31 hours of play I ended the session down "just" $114,000. I went on a rush that saw me win $1.2 million in just a few hours.

I figured that to play the $4000/$8000 you would need a bankroll of $2million or more... and even that would be cutting it a bit fine...

To answer my own original question, the most I have been stuck for in one night is $165, since the highest level I have ever played so far has merely been $2/$4...
Old 03-02-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: What\'s the most you\'ve been stuck for... $1 million dollars?

I took it for $1850 one night/day in January on 10-20 6-max. This was largely due to tilt. I learned more lessons that night than any man deserves to learn his whole life.

NB- I'm not sure why but my style is such that, playing my best and no tilt, if I lost more than 1K straight (50BB) this would be VERY aberrant. The last time I lost more than 50BB before coming back to even was in January as well.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:08 PM

$3700 playing 30-60 LHE online. I usually don't play this game so it seemed like I was getting crushed. I stayed off tilt and ended up $250. I learned all the lessons that going broke teaches without actually going broke.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:22 PM

$275 on an incredibly bad night of 2/4 for me.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:30 PM

Around $5K. However that night began with a $2K upswing so it was a $7K drop over the course of the session. Not good times.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:42 PM

In the past 2 weeks I've had a -9700 and a -9100 day. Those are the most...
Old 03-02-2005, 08:43 PM

I lost 3k in 40 minutes onetime on PS 3060 multitabling. Took a break made some of it back later im the day. Another day i had a 7k upswing over 12 hours 8 tabling 15, and the last two hours dropped 4k
Old 03-02-2005, 08:51 PM

3k when you take a shot at 50/100 with 40% seeing the flop and a little over 10 BB avg pot, got 2 hands, one with aces cracked, and other with runner runner Js to take most of the damage.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:53 PM

I know Phil Ivey was down ~1 mil in cash games during the WSOP last year only to come back and win ~2 mil the next day.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the past 2 weeks I've had a -9700 and a -9100 day. Those are the most...

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ... out of curiosity did you get big-league recently? I notice your best month was Feb. and your worst days have been last 2 weeks... Did you move up in limits? Or did you jack up the variance... or some combo of the two?