Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Battle of the Blinds - Please give me help with this hand.

Please comment on this hand: I'm in the SB. There's still about 60 people left in the tourney. Villian is in BB. How do you like the way I played this hand??? Given the way I played this hand,
what do I do on the river? What cards do you put the villian on??? Once again sorry about not using the converter...I can't figure out how to use it with UB tourneys.

Hand #4245211 at Tue6pm-007 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 01/Feb/05 20:04:00

J FREE is at seat 0 with 11045.
DaHero is at seat 1 with 9255.
DaVillian is at seat 3 with 9495.
the_wild_ace is at seat 4 with 7700.
hammerman is at seat 5 with 26595.
yungson17 is at seat 6 with 5875.
HotRoastBeef is at seat 7 with 6015.
ITakeChecks is at seat 9 with 12255.
The button is at seat 9.

yungson17 posts ante (25).
hammerman posts ante (25).
the_wild_ace posts ante (25).
DaVillian posts ante (25).
DaHero posts ante (25).
J FREE posts ante (25).
ITakeChecks posts ante (25).
HotRoastBeef posts ante (25).
DaHero posts the small blind of 150.
DaVillian posts the big blind of 300.

J FREE: -- --
DaHero: Jh Qd
DaVillian: -- --
the_wild_ace: -- --
hammerman: -- --
yungson17: -- --
HotRoastBeef: -- --
ITakeChecks: -- --

Pre-flop:

the_wild_ace folds. hammerman folds. yungson17
folds. HotRoastBeef folds. ITakeChecks folds. J
FREE folds. DaHero calls. DaVillian checks.

Flop (board: 2d Jc Td):

DaHero bets 800. DaVillian calls.

Turn (board: 2d Jc Td 2s):

DaHero bets 2000. DaVillian calls.

River (board: 2d Jc Td 2s 3d):

DaHero checks. DaVillian bets 2000.

DaHero does what here??????
Old 02-01-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Battle of the Blinds - Please give me help with this hand.

The fact that he called your large, bulky bet on the flop indicates strength. Initial thought are diamond draw, random J, or random 10. When he called the turn, the diamond draw starts to appeal more to me. I think you are only beating about 25% of the hands he has here.

You are best to hope for a low J or a 10, but a better J, J-2, 10-2, dd, J-10 are all possible.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Anyone else have comments?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 PM

Hero (SB): 9.255 [Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Villain (BB): 9.495 [? ?]
Level: 25 150/300
Pot: 650

Pre-flop
If everybody folds to me in the SB (in the mid-level of the tourney), I raise 80% of the time, regadless of hand.
I'd make it 1.500 here.
Let's say you're opponent only plays a pair or an ace if you raise. He then re-raises and you fold.
Aces and pairs count for 198 hands out of a total 1326 hands, that's 15%.
Hero loses 1500 when Villain holds a pair or an ace
Hero wins 2150 when Villain holds crap
The math is simple, you win a BB on average on a steal here: (650x0.85)-(1500x0.15)+20=327.5
By the way, QJo is not that bad is only a 3-2 dog against an average pair/ace-hand
But a call isn't awfull

Flop
[2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Pot: 800
You have top pair, good kicker. But there's a flush and straight draw out there. You're pretty much up against a random hand and you are out of position.
You probably have the best hand, and you don't want to give any free-cards here. You have to bet. pot-size is fine.

Turn
[2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
pot: 2.400
well, if you put him on a draw, you have to make him pay. 2.000 is fine (80% of pot)

River
[2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
pot: 6.400
He could have a lot of hands here, most of which beat you. But what about a busted straight draw, or AT or Jx?
You have 6.130 left. The pot is giving you (8.400-2.000) 4.2-1. That's huge, you have to call.
----- ----- -----
If you win you end up with a stack of 14.530 (48xBB)
If you fold you have 6.130 (20xBB)
If you lose, you only have 4.130 (13xBB)
----- ----- -----

<font color="blue"> paulish </font>
Old 02-02-2005, 11:40 PM

You have to raise preflop. Other than that you played it ok. His bet is so small that you have to call.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:21 AM

Thanks guys for your responses. He opted to show and it was K-Q off.. Busted straight draw....and stupid me, I folded. I was 100% sure I was beat. The smallish bet looked like he wanted a call, and I figure if I call and lose I'm around 10 BBs.... And I used the fold and show button and then he shows K-Qo. But I had my revenge. We ended up HU at the final table and I went on to beat him to win the tourney!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:45 AM

I would probably raise preflop, but sometimes call to vary my play. It's important not to be easily readable in blind vs blind play. For example, some people will raise with any A or pair EVERY time, so when they don't raise and you have a hand like Kx you are sure you have the favorite. Ok, but I digress, my main point is that a two-big hand like QJ is certainly good enough to raise, but calling is fine too.

I think your bet on the flop is just fine. When he just calls you, he is likely on a draw. He could be slowplaying a monster, but that's not something you worry about here. Any good made hand will often raise with this type of flop which has many drawing possibilities.

I think on the turn, the 2K bet is fine; however, mainly because of how textured this flop is, I might overbet the pot to protect the hand if it's good, and if it's not, at least I'll know. The way the hand was played, I think the pot odds dictate a call on the river, unless you are really confident that you have a read that you are beat.

Congrats on getting heads up with the guy and beating him.