Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Party $50+5 - QQ Pre-flop

Hi, had an interesting hand that came up in the 3rd hand of a Party $50+5 MTT. All stacks are 1000, +/- 25 or so.

I get dealt QQ in the SB with 10/15 blinds. 4 limpers, then the CO makes it 225. Button then pushes for 975. Action to me, what do you do?

My thoughts were CO has a good hand but doesn't welcome action - maybe JJ, TT, 99, AK. KK and AA also a possibility obviously. Button - hmm, from the early play I've seen in these tournaments before he could have any pair from 44+, AQs+?

Now obviously if one of these blokes has KK or AA I'm in big trouble. If they both happen to have AK, or underpairs I'm laughing. Then there's the possibility I have the button beat and the CO folds to my call.

Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Party $50+5 - QQ Pre-flop

I can't see folding two Queens in this spot. This would be quite a hard laydown. I don't know why a guy would play aces or kings that fast three hands into the tournament. I'm probably wrong though.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see folding two Queens in this spot. This would be quite a hard laydown. I don't know why a guy would play aces or kings that fast three hands into the tournament. I'm probably wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most player would push with AA or KK as button. If you say this is too fast, would you slow play a big pair with an overbet raise in front of you? If button is a good player, he has atleast JJ or AK.

I think this is close in a $50 tournament. I a freeroll or rebuy it is an easy call. In a $1000 tournament, it is an easy fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:07 PM

Yep this was my thinking. He'd have to raise half his stack just to get any raise in, and would have to expect a call from the CO? Even if he doesn't he's picked up 300.

But then I've also seen such a play from 55, hoping to be against AK or a bluff to pick up the pot. In that situation, if I call and fold out the CO, I'm in great shape to have a big stack nice and early.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:37 PM

Every time this or something similar has happened to me in the first orbit of a Party tournament (up to the $109s), my QQ was a dominating favorite (the jammer had JJ-88 or, in one memorable case, JTs). Yeah, my sample size of 6 isn't great, but I like gambling with the QQ here.

I either get a big stack early or I can go play some sngs or something with the free montior space I have.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:39 PM

It comes down to your belief of what the risk vs. reward ratio is for you. How do you feel about your chances in the tournament? Are you confident in your game, that you can outplay the majority of your opponents if given time? Do you feel you need to take a slight edge here to double up, or do you believe you can double up playing your own game throughout the next half hour or so? For example, if you think you're up against AK, and that your other opponent will fold, then you're about a 55% favorite. Now you need to decide whether your chances of doubling up by conservative means and by playing your own game is greater than or less than 55%. And you have to factor in that you may not have an egde at all, as you could be up against AA or KK. But these are the questions you need to ask yourself when you get put in this position. Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:51 PM

At a later stage, whether you want to gamble would be an important consideration. At this stage, you mostly have to look at it as a cash EV decision. If you bust after 3 hands, you can sign up for another tournament. If anything, doubling up may be worth more than double to you, so gambling is probably slightly EV+.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:55 PM

I would call. People are so retarded early in a Party tournament I think you will see junk, AK or lower A, or a lower pair more than 50% fo the time making this a call.

Sometimes you will see AA/KK but I don't think it's ever wrong to go broke w/ QQ preflop in a Party tournament.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bust after 3 hands, you can sign up for another tournament. If anything, doubling up may be worth more than double to you, so gambling is probably slightly EV+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep well this is the approach I took, thought oh well I'll either have a nice juicy big stack or I can go and hit up some cash games. So I called.

Anyway CO called as well, so I knew I was done. He showed KK, Button had TT. Believe it or not KK won - who said online poker is rigged?