Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 04:50 AM

Default 3bet preflop with AK check flop?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero..?

Bet this flop? check it? I don't wanna get checkraised, and it is very likely that someone got a piece of this board or a draw, with the flush and straight draws out there. Yeah a check-raise would suck. And I have 4 opponents who each paid 3 bets to see the flop. Is this an easy check? or could there be a bet here?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: 3bet preflop with AK check flop?

check?
yes, check.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:53 AM

If I can even get one person to fold with a bet here I will do it and also there's a good chance it will get checked to you again on the turn if you lead the flop and were just called in a few spots.

if you get raised? then call and peel the turn.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:00 AM

I think this is good spot to check. Your probably not ahead and you have a draw heavy board. Rare but good spot for a free card.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:01 AM

I check so if we hit on the turn, utg leads out and we trap bets.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:12 AM

Well, we have 3 opinions. I side with checking, not only because of the ck/raise factor from UTG, but because our suits do not match the board and the poster could have most anything.
I prefer to raise anytime I think I can get someone to fold, and UTG may very well have AQ, however, with the poster and the suit issue, I check.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:16 AM

Checking turns AK face up. If you get bet into on an A or K turn, theres a real good chance he's 3betting your raise.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking turns AK face up. If you get bet into on an A or K turn, theres a real good chance he's 3betting your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's how I feel, if I check flop and hit TP on turn, and go for the raise, to trap the field, I could be trapping myself at the same time. I don't like it.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:35 AM

I like betting so that small PPs fold, hands with pair outs fold, etc, and to get a free card, etc etc. In a pot this size, any folds you get are valuable.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And.....if you bet it on the flop and UTG raises, he is not exposing his AK/AQ, although that could be what he has, and is just trying to get it heads-up, which, if he succeeds in doing, he bets out on the turn, no matter what it is, and if it's not an AorK, what do we do then? Call 1 &amp; fold the river if no A/K?

Furthermore, what are the chances of getting both MP's to fold on the flop?