Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Need some thoughts about grinding/moving up

Just some general brain spewing thoughts I've had today about climbing the ladder and grinding.

How many hands have you played at your current limit and what are your thoughts about moving up/staying there?

The reason I ask is that I'm currently at 50k to 60k hands at 2/4 NL which I guess is not much for a particular level. But even though my hourly wage is ~$100/hr I have trouble believing that I'll be satisfied after staying at this level for 200,000 hands even though that's a comfy $200k/yr. I'd still feel way too much like a grinder (Seinfeld: "not that there's anything WRONG with that!)

So how many hands at your current limit do you have and what are your thoughts on moving up or feeling like grinder?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Need some thoughts about grinding/moving up

move up as soon as possible. possible meaning you have the bankroll and the psychological bankroll to withstand some swings and it won't hurt you too much so that you can move back down and play your old stakes comfortably.

You really don't need 50k hands to figure this out...
Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 PM

We really need a little more data from you to comment intelligently here. How are you playing at 2/4? Are you making that $ by 8 table set grinding uber tight or you 2-4 tabling and consistently outplaying the other regulars and getting your donations from the random donkeys that wander into the game? Do you feel like you are one of best players you know of at that level? 6 max or full ring? Which site?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:23 PM

How many tales you playing? And is this full ring?

The reason I ask is that I recently moved up from $2/$4 to $5/$10 full ring. I did fairly well, but the problme I had was that I normally play 3 tables. There just arent that many $5/$10 full ring tables avail right now. Everyone is either playing 10/20 or playing 6 max.

I got stuck playing only 1-2 tables at a time so my hourly rate was better playing 2/4 with much lower risk and lower stress.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:28 PM

I'm playing 2/4NL 6max.

Oh and btw...I'm not looking for any advice about me moving up or nuthin'. Actually I don't even wanna SEE the words "Killah, you should move up limits. You're fine." Because I don't even wanna go there right now. I'm happy at 2/4 for the time being and if I see those words they will likely wake up the evil voice in my head that tells me to play higher when I'm not ready to. Don't wake him up please!

I'd just like to hear players' thoughts on this topic.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:42 PM

Fair enough. Probably the single most important thing is to make sure your properly banrolled before even considering it.

More imporant than the total # of hands you've played after you cross the 20k threshold to get a reasonable approximation of your win rate is how your win rate compares with other regular players at your level, you really want to be in the top 20% of those because after 2/4 the skill level goes up very rapidly. And when you do move up, play fewer simultaneous tables, you'll want to focus on making correct decisions more often because your game will have to change in the face of better opposition, you can play more tables after you get used to it.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We really need a little more data from you to comment intelligently here. How are you playing at 2/4? Are you making that $ by 8 table set grinding uber tight or you 2-4 tabling and consistently outplaying the other regulars and getting your donations from the random donkeys that wander into the game? Do you feel like you are one of best players you know of at that level? 6 max or full ring? Which site?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Just saw this post now.

FWIW...NL400 on Party. 5.5PTbb/100. MT ratio is like 3.1 and I play my normal game which is far from set-mining. Yeah I feel I'm one of the best players at that level but don't feel stong enough for NL1k yet. Top 20%? Hmmmm. I'll have to check that out on PT for players I have in the DB with more than, say, 1500 hands. Accurate enough?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:24 PM

so move to the 3/6 game instead of the 5/10. People cost themselves wayyyyy to much money following guidelines about moving up. Do you have the roll? Do you have the gambool? Move. The worst thing that happens is you run/play bad and have to go back, much better than playing a level for LIFE.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:27 PM

HEK is not a set miner and definitely top 20% at 2-4 level...

I have seen you sneak on to the 3/6 game HEK... you are definitely good enough to move up and try...

gl, see ya up there in 20k hands (hopefully)...
Old 09-14-2005, 04:39 PM

$100/h at 2/4 NL is 25BB/hour, which must be extremely good? I think I make about $100/hour playing NL 5/10, though I may be wrong.

jake