Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Thank you everyone for your help

I went to three bookstores yesterday to get SSHE, and non of them had it, so I ordered it online from Amazon, should be here it 3 days.

Thank you very much for the comments, some of them are burtally honest, but that is exactly what I wanted. Knowing you have major problems makes it easier to really step back and examine the game rather than trying to isolate a few little issues and tweak them. (Although it is a harsh reality I face here.) I wonder where things went so wrong and why. I really believe that I was a good player, but then tried to get better thinking that I would move to 1/2 and went WAY worse (It was also when I tried to 4 table).

I have a quick question. Lets say I have a marginal hand in late position, 33, 22, KTo, etc. and I call (as per the SSHE starting hand guidelines) then it gets raised by the BB, should I call the raise or fold? Also what if it is raised by the BB and then reraised from a player in early position?

Thanks again!

Amy
Old 06-12-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Thank you everyone for your help

If anyone else is looking to buy this, when I went to look they had it at Borders but not at B&N. I don't know if that is the general trend.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:27 AM

If you've called one bet preflop and it comes around one bet back to you because someone raises behind you, always call the second bet.

If it gets raised and reraised so that you have to call 2 more, you need a really good hand to call.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 AM

I would call a raise with the small pairs as long as there are a couple of limpers (and if there weren't I wouldn't have called in the first place.) KTo would be a call no matter how many.

Against a raise and a reraise, I would definitely chuck KTo but be more inclined to call with the small pairs as long as a couple of people are already in. If the set comes, we have huge implied odds given that a couple of people already like their hand.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a quick question. Lets say I have a marginal hand in late position, 33, 22, KTo, etc. and I call (as per the SSHE starting hand guidelines) then it gets raised by the BB, should I call the raise or fold? Also what if it is raised by the BB and then reraised from a player in early position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any reads? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It all depends on the situation. Generally if you call and get raised behind you, it is ok to call the raise. When you get SSH you will read about that.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:46 AM

If you limp with your small pair or KTo and the BB raises, definately call one more bet.

If it gets re-raised by someone in early position, it would depend on how many callers call both bets. For example, if everyone cold calls both bets in front of you, your pot odds and implied odds would make calling the small pair correct, depending on how many people were in the pot, however, KTo, a marginal hand, would not be worth cold calling two bets.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 AM

I think from your posts, you play on PP. If you play on stars also remember that they have that FPP store. I have free autographed copies of several books from that.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Although it is a harsh reality I face here.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think like this. Not everyone is cut out for this game, don't beat yourself up about it.

Read this for a slightly different point of view on the game. Q-Tip is one of the more thoughtful (or thought-filled) posters I've come across in these forums, and this is some good perspective.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Amy....may I suggest Ed Miller's new book...."Getting Started in Hold'Em" as your first read? It lays a very solid foundation for the info in SSH, which may be overwhelming at first.

GSIH contains a very nice starting hand chart that is a little too tight for the long term, but excellent for a beginner's first couple thousand hands. You have been playing awhile I know, but something to consider. I was hitting a cold streak at .50/1.00 when his book came out. Started using his charts and turned it around quickly. It was what I needed at the time, and may be helpful for you.

Sometimes taking one step back to regroup and then move foward is the best thing we can do.....

An edit PS.....don't be afraid to drop down in limits. Don't think you need to drop down all the way to penny tables, although they are good places to get solid with starting hand selection and calculating basic pot odds on the fly.

The Poker Stars .05/.10 can be a very good place to learn the fundamentls. When you have earned 100BB's move to .25/.50. Repeat. There is no need to pay "more" poker tuition at the tables when you can learn and pay "less." At this point, the money you save can be put to better uses, like buying good poker books! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Online offers a great opportunity to learn poker pretty cheaply. Take advantage.....
Old 06-12-2005, 04:27 PM

with KTo in LP and no callers in I probably raise unless the blinds will call anything. With 22 or 33 and noone in I still call, I want someone to pay off my 22 when I do hit my set and i don't want to be three bet. With 1 other person in I isolate with KT. With the small pairs I call.