Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Is this standard or spewage?

Here's my situation:

I'm 21. I have a serious gf who I've been with for a shade under a year. For various reasons including a broken down car I'll probably be spending x-mas with my gf's family (who I get along well with).

My family and I are not too keen on x-mas and usually don't get each other stuff. I haven't got anyone (except for my gf) anything as of yet and have no intention of doing so. My gf said her Mother got me something. My gf got her family stuff already.

I'm considering offering to give my gf half of what she paid for her family's gifts in exchange for putting both our names on the card. It will cost me ~$80, which is not that big of a big deal to me. It will be awkward and I may end up looking like an ass if I don't get anyone anything even though I'm spending x-mas at their house. On the other hand absorbing half the damage of x-mas seems a little excessive considering I'm not close to her family and haven't even got my family anything.

My time is worth ~$16/hour and I'm in no financial trouble. What's my play?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Is this standard or spewage?

If this is your only option then do it. But if you can get them a gift of your own.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:54 PM

i wouldn't expect your girlfriend to just let you put your name on the card and take half credit for the gifts. the point is not how much money is spent the thought, time and consideration taken to decide what gifts to get.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:56 PM

I would go out and buy gifts for everyone.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:01 PM

Excellent point. I hadn't even thought about that.

In my defense I went shopping with her for many of these gifts. I gave recommendations on some of them, even though I wasn't really qualified to.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:06 PM

Your view of Christmas is awful. If all you want to do is pay off your girlfriend to put your name on her gifts, you really shouldn't bother. Her family will know that you didnt shop for them anyway. If you want to not look like an ass, buy them thoughtful presents.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to not look like an ass, buy them thoughtful presents.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind I barely know them. There's no way I'm capable of buying them "thoughful presents". They're obviously going to know I didn't think to get these presents for them. But I'm sure they'll appreciate that put I something towards their gifts.

[ QUOTE ]
Your view of Christmas is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is dead on. My family and I haven't celebrated x-mas since I was a kid. And I'm just not into it.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Definite agreement here. If your GF's family celebrates Xmas, you have to thank them for taking you in, and because they mean something to your GF.

Don't be lazy (unless you really don't have the time), go out and buy something nice for them, all of them, including your GF.

Don't buy something too nice though, $10 a gift sounds about right. Just something to increase their opinion of you, and you'll definitely get a big "thank you" from your GF.

Be thoughtful, be nice. It's cheaper, and it's a good thing to do.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is dead on. My family and I haven't celebrated x-mas since I was a kid. And I'm just not into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then tell them this. Thank them for inviting you into their tradition, but explain you aren't religous.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then tell them this. Thank them for inviting you into their tradition, but explain you aren't religous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not so good at this whole "life" thing, are you?