Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Apparently I can\'t dress myself

Try them on in the store and look in the mirror.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try them on in the store and look in the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yeah I get that, I meant more like what girls may say looks good I may hate. ill jsut go with what feels right.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:03 AM

how about slacks vs. jeans. not the butt thing but in general for going out? too much, with shirt untucked?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:13 AM

lapoker,

you're giving great suggestions.

censored,

a few months ago i went on a similar spree after realizing i could use some new items. don't listen to brand X being better than brand Y crap, you need to go to a store and look at the styles and see which ones fit/look best. if you don't mind spending a bit, try saks or neiman and their salespeople will help you pick things out. these places also have massive sales -- for instance, saks had a 40% off everything for one day a month or so ago.

cashmere is kinda cool, but unnecessary and doesn't sound reasonable for your price range. i guess there are various qualities though cause i've seen sweaters ranging from like $40 to $2500.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:39 AM

Pants of all kinds are good to have. Jeans are still not acceptable in many places, so you need some alternatives. They might be fine for going to some restaurants and clubs, but not others. If you've already got some jeans, I don't see any reason to stock up on more. Plus it's nice to be a little dressier sometimes, and women often like a sharper dresser very much. You can still look rich in jeans, but there's only so sharp you can look in jeans.

It's especially true that you don't need to go overboard getting more and more super pricey jeans. A lot of that business is purely about ego, and many expensive brands are just as poorly cut and made as much cheaper brands. Look for quality of construction and finish.

What the other fellow said about it looking good on you is more important. For that, trying them on is going to tell you more than a brand name ever will. A girl looking at you from across the room will think you look much better in a pair of pants that fits you well than one that doesn't look so hot on you but costs 10x more. If she's still checking for brand names too hard and doesn't recognize that you've made quality choices regardless of brand name, she knows less about fashion than you do. What I'm saying is that isn't that likely. Work on the look first - quality, fit and finish, and make brand name a distant consideration. A pair of really nice shoes and well chosen glasses/sunglasses will be all the showing off you need if you dress well.

P.S. if you want to, you can take the brand labels and insignias off a lot of jeans and clothes and many look much better if you do so. A little pair of nail scissors and some plucking at some threads can do the job.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't play ball, baby

[/ QUOTE ]

you never run into dress code issues in nice bars, clubs, or restaurants in Boston? i'm in NYC and sneakers are a non-starter in just about all upscale clubs/lounges.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've gone to quite a few "chic" or "swanky" spots in NYC and had no problem getting in wearing black or grey skate shoes. The only place I've been hassled is in Vegas (Studio 54), but everywhere else didn't mind (i think you can go in a wife beater and boxers if you're paying for bottle service).

Somewhat similar:
Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can only think of Florsheim (sp?), any other shoe stores you can think of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alden, Allen Edmonds and Johnston and Murphy come to mind. the first two are pretty expensive I think, J&M is a bit more affordable.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the average OOT'er who is looking to get a nice pair of shoes, you should only shop at Nordstroms. Those of us in the big cities have better sollutions of course.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i RARELY pull the "men shouldn't" card, but i cannot support dudes wearing turtlenecks

[/ QUOTE ]

Survey says: wrong. Remember - no rubber soles, too chunky on the bottum. It will make your feet look too big.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe all of the references to all of the over-priced metrosexual jeans (sevens, etc). Jeez.

Get some normal jeans. Brand does NOT matter. The only thing that matters is how they make your butt look. Those other jeans are for suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't reccomend taking the advice of this poster, its great advice for someone who already knows style and is looking to explore, but bad advice for someone like [censored] who is looking to polish up his act.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 AM

PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!