Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Default rush/anti rush

It seems to me that poker often runs in streaks with a monster rush where every hand hits at one end and super pockets that can't ever win at the other. Most of the time you are somewhere in between when you play good starters in appropriate position but you will hit most of the flops that you see or miss most of the flops. It is agreed that cards break even over the long run but I believe that they are streaky in the short. A good player recognizes this and slows down when things are poor and speeds up when they are not but how do you know when the streaks are changing? Has anyone ever studied this phenom?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: rush/anti rush

Great post!

[ QUOTE ]
It is agreed that cards break even over the long run but I believe that they are streaky in the short. A good player recognizes this and slows down when things are poor and speeds up when they are not but how do you know when the streaks are changing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I have a bag of lucky chicken bones. I toss them on the floor. The patterns tell when to slow down and such. I suggest the books CBIFAP (Chicken Bone Interpretation for Advanced Players), and GPADA (Gambling Practice and the Dark Arts).
Old 12-06-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post!

[ QUOTE ]
It is agreed that cards break even over the long run but I believe that they are streaky in the short. A good player recognizes this and slows down when things are poor and speeds up when they are not but how do you know when the streaks are changing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I have a bag of lucky chicken bones. I toss them on the floor. The patterns tell when to slow down and such. I suggest the books CBIFAP (Chicken Bone Interpretation for Advanced Players), and GPADA (Gambling Practice and the Dark Arts).

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicken Bones? You realize you can use Tarot cards and get the same information without the mess!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:00 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

the only reason to do this is because when you are losing your image goes to [censored], and when youre winning people stay out of your way. streaks exist in the past, not the future
Old 12-06-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only reason to do this is because when you are losing your image goes to [censored], and when youre winning people stay out of your way. streaks exist in the past, not the future

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, each hand is independent of the last unless you let the results of one affect you play on another. So no, poker doesn't come in streaks, it comes in small dosages called hands.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great post!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicken Bones? You realize you can use Tarot cards and get the same information without the mess!

[/ QUOTE ]
no you can't use tarot cards. They're more rigged than online poker.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:46 AM

I just ask the Magic 8 Ball before all preflop decisions.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:01 AM

Here is a somewhat harsh but sarcasm-free answer...

In short, your claim is completely incorrect. The cards are random... period. Any decent player accepts this fact. No good player attempts to anticipate the next hand based on the previous hand because it simply cannot be done. The cards are random. Tell yourself that until you believe it.

However, it might be beneficial to explore this not-so-uncommon fallacy. This probably has something to do with the way the hunman mind processes information. A part of your mind is constantly looking for patterns. The reason you think you are "running bad" is the same reason you can look at the moon and see a face.

Your mind is sorting all the various information that your are taking in at any given moment. Most of it is background noise, but some of it is "a pattern." So just like you ignore the rock formations that don't look like faces, you tend to ignore the times when the cards are evenly distributed.

Sometimes, people do exactly what you are proposing. They play more loose and aggressive when they have been winning and more tight and passive when they are losing. They do this because after a nice win, they want to relive the experience and after a painful loss, they want to avoid a repeat of that pain. There is a word for that and that word is "tilt."
Old 12-07-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you know when the streaks are changing?

[/ QUOTE ]

the more you wipe, the less the streak.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just ask the Magic 8 Ball before all preflop decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

"all signs point to the jacket"