Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

I think this is making it out to be more dangerous that it really is. There are video games (car racing comes to mind) where the player competes in a race/competition and if he wins, he gets to buy/upgrade his equipment and then he races again and repeats the process.

This kid is getting a bit more reality in his gaming.

Isn't there a WSOP video game? I wonder what it's like and whether playing that or online poker for real money carries more risk.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My 7 year-old likes wine. Maybe once a week we share a bottle (he sleeps really well those nights). We always do this in the privacy of our own home and he never drinks without me. I figure by teaching him to drink responsibily at this young age there will be a reduced likelihood of him getting into trouble with alcohol in high school or college. When we select our wine, we always talk a bit about the region it is from, so we get in a little education in the process. And, we often cook something special to go with teh wine, so we're spending a lot of quality time together on drinking nights.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much do u let him drink?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:09 PM

Come on! My last paycheck bounced...my children need wine!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:14 PM

My son is younger than yours, and I have given this idea some thought.

If it were just you and your son, I think you have an easier decision. What would your son be doing if he weren't playing poker? Is that a "better" activity for him?
I know you said he doesnt play video games, but I think for the average kid who does play video games, poker is generating higher level thought than most games. I would say in that situation it's a close decision, but probably reasonable for him to play.

Your wife being opposed to him playing is another matter. I think a lot of the other posters have elucidated good reasons this could go bad if she is really opposed to it. I would be trying to teach my son how and why we make certain plays, especially emphasizing the mathematical aspect of it. I think this would bring my wife around, but I'm not sure.

In short, without your wife's input, its probably about 55-45 in favor of letting him play. With her opposion, it swings it to a clear fold.

I'm sure I've been as clear as mud.

Doc
Old 11-23-2005, 11:27 PM

Give the kid to curtains. He'll learn poker AND chess.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Make him start showing the math of the game before he can play for the week. Pick a new prob/stat/game theory area to teach him each week and make him pass a test to play that week. When you run out of poker stuff move to calc or some other field. I don't know if that is good advice or not, but certainly there is a lot of great poker stuff that is applicable to all sorts of areas of life that most people never learn.

Also, you should probably make him put most of the winnings he withdraws into a retirement fund (or college fund).

There are certainly some possible downsides to gambling at a young age, but nothing you should not be able to steer him clear of as an active parent, and there is a lot of upside potential, too.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He put $100 of his own money in the account

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like I'm going insane reading this. Maybe I don't have any idea how old 9 is, but I'm pretty sure I never had any of my own money untill I was like 14. How does a 9 year old kid have $100 and what would he use it for? For the majority of my college life I didn't have $100.

As for the OP's question, I don't know. I think the things I did when I was nine were a lot more fun than playing poker. But if he enjoys the game...
Old 11-24-2005, 12:18 AM

I would say, have a week or so where you dont let him play. Teach him about self control, because one day or another he probably will start losing for a bit, everyone has their bad days. Also like others said, at the end of day cashout like half his winnings or so; itll only help him.
gl!
Old 11-24-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have him learn chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's too old to start and be any good.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay..how about this...he's *very* likely too old to be able to make a living playing chess if he starts learning now.

There is basically 0.00000001% chance he could be a world class player.

Yugoslav
Old 11-24-2005, 03:06 AM

If it makes you feel any better, my son learned how to play poker at 5. He really likes the math involved and enjoys the game. I don't let him play for money, but he does play in the play money ring games and SnGs. I let him play a couple of games maybe once or twice a week. We also play heads up tournies with our own cards/chips [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think it is a great experience for him and is very challenging/fun for him right now.

Emphasizing that it is a fun thinking game where you have to make good guesses (with incomplete information) instead of emphasizing the gambling/money side is how I am handling it.

Goodluck,

Pokerscott