Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

Tell this kid to start posting on 2p2 I bet he's some kind of prodigy! Then get Daliman to teach him how to play BJ and pick up women taller then him (very important at his age). After that I'll teach him how to "take a year off" of school (Grade 4 wasn't that great anyways).
Old 11-23-2005, 06:14 PM

Holy crap, it sounds like he is better than me!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:15 PM

i think this has alot more negative potential than positive. however i think it can be positive if his playing time isn't more than moderate, and there's a good context as to why/how he's playing. you're walking a fine line, but ultimately you as a parent decide if that line is positive or not, which in this case it seems like you have things under control. tell him i said good luck at the tables.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:27 PM

Sounds like you ought to invite a couple of his friends and their dads (or moms) over for poker night.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a dick move, I say let him play as much as he wants until it begins to intervene with other things he needs to be doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this a dick move?? do you remember having 1000 dollars when you were 9.. Imagine the education you could have paid for had you invested a simple 1000 at age 9 into some sort of rolling CD's or into a 10 year trust. But your right, trading a future for a chance to move up to the 20's is the right move.

But im just a donk

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily disagree with your suggestion of putting aside the money for college. But let's not get carried away at how much $1000 is worth.

If you earn 10% anually (which is btw very dubiuos unless it's in stocks, which would mean higher variance), $1000 will be worth $2593.74 in ten years.

Not chump change. But that would not have paid for one year of college at my public university when I went to school 15 years ago.

I agree that putting aside money for college is good because it keeps him from having delusions of grandeur due to his bankroll and because it encourages great money management skills.

But let's not lie about the facts: if his SnG ROI is even a paltry 5%, moving up would, indeed, make more money towards college than any rolling CDs ever could.

Again, debates about whether this would be wise is an entirely different discussion.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But let's not lie about the facts: if his SnG ROI is even a paltry 5%, moving up would, indeed, make more money towards college than any rolling CDs ever could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by how adults handle downswings, I would strongly advice against this kid moving up. How would he handle a 30 buy-in drop at the 22s? I think keeping the buy-ins down is a requirement for this to be a decent idea. If the object is to turn him into a moneymaking machine, it will bring a lot of crap a 9 year old definately don't need or will be able to handle intellectually for at least a handful years.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:49 PM

My 7 year-old likes wine. Maybe once a week we share a bottle (he sleeps really well those nights). We always do this in the privacy of our own home and he never drinks without me. I figure by teaching him to drink responsibily at this young age there will be a reduced likelihood of him getting into trouble with alcohol in high school or college. When we select our wine, we always talk a bit about the region it is from, so we get in a little education in the process. And, we often cook something special to go with teh wine, so we're spending a lot of quality time together on drinking nights.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:53 PM

Is Freemoney his coach?

Irieguy
Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have him learn chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's too old to start and be any good.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:09 PM

MY VIEW ON THE BEST PROCESS TO GET AN ANSWER
While people on here are obviously intelligent people, I don't think they're the right source for parenting advice.

Chat to a non-poker playing friend (preferably who has kids) and see what they think - someone who knows you, your kid and your wife.

MY VIEW ON THE ISSUE ITSELF
While playing poker may or may not be fun for a 9 year old, there seems to be a whole lot of risk to your kid's development (social adjustment, gambling issues, criminal charges, divorced parents etc.), compared to the pay off ($1k? $2k?).

In the bigger scheme of things, I reckon your pot odds are really terrible - you're gambling the future of your kid against a few dollars. While the gamble may pay off, even if it does your kid is probably not on the path to life fulfillment.

If it works out alright, your kid has some money and something to amuse himself for a few hours a week. If it works out badly, your kid's f'cked for life.