Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-18-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Berate my play

This is what you get when you decide to play poker instead of going to bed as you should:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

Button (t1515)
SB (t1830)
Hero (t2475)
UTG (t2180)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t900) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t425</font>, Hero calls t425.

Turn: (t1750) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (t1750) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t425</font>, Hero calls t425.

How would you play it?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Berate my play

I would fold preflop, I would also checkraise the flop after that weak 425 bet.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:21 AM

I fold preflop most of the time, check-raise the flop, and I split between calling the down and pushing turn.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:29 AM

Why fold when you have a decent hand, excellent pot odds and a player who has a low effective M.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:32 AM

I fold preflop because I don't wanna hit TP and be in a tough spot. That said, this isn't the biggest mistake in the world. You're ahead a fair amount of the time here, and playing it passively isn't horrible; just not smart play on the bubble though.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:39 AM

I'd stick a raise in somewhere to define my hand as strong, and try to win it right away. That means you could raise preflop to try to win the hand right there. Since you are out of position picking up the pot right there is good. If he calls a pot sized raise then you know you're up against a real hand and you should be careful. You could lead out on the flop with a half pot sized bet (if you're not planning on check raising) to once again gain information on your opponent and also try to win the pot.

The way you played it was terrible, but you didn't get a whole lot of info on your opponent b/c you didnt bet.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:42 AM

i'd fold preflop to avoid this type of spot, but i generally call down here because if he pushes you pretty much can't call (which allows him to push you out on riv but is generally less risky than c-r'ing)
Old 09-18-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd fold preflop to avoid this type of spot, but i generally call down here because if he pushes you pretty much can't call (which allows him to push you out on riv but is generally less risky than c-r'ing)

[/ QUOTE ]
Um... No. Calling down is only good when you are certain that he'll bluff the river, allowing you to call profitably. Giving your opponents two free cards on the turn and river when you have the best hand on the flop a large percentage of the time is very bad poker.

Check-Push back on the flop if you get there, and on the bubble, with those stacks, it's really not close.

And you fold because being OOP sucks, and the guy has a hand that beats you a large percentage of the time. That said, calling isn't the end of the world.

However, I definitely think that check-all-in on this flop is by far the best play.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:23 AM

Fair enough, check push is a nice play. Folding preflop is a really bad idea. It costs you 200 to win 700 thats 1 to 3.5 pot odds which means you are getting odds to call with almost any two. Given the situation q 10 is a decently strong hand. The only way you could lay this down was if you "knew" the guy had qq kk or aa. Plus folding is such a weak play it just encourages the other players to pick on you and steal your blind more frequently. With the blinds where they are you need to pick a spot and make a stand or you're gonna be blided out real fast.

added:
The guy has a hand that has you beat a large percentage of the time? I'd say most often hes up against a small pair or a 60 40 situation. Being out of position does have hte advantage of providing you the opportunity to bet first, which could win you the pot right there (on the flop).
Old 09-18-2005, 07:45 AM

I agree with curtains, fold preflop but once you're there checkraise that flop, you did like that flop right?

Having said that I don't think calling preflop or on the flop is so bad that you deserve to be berated either, maybe I'm too kind. You guys who want to be berated really gotta start posting some true stinkers.

PS It would help to know what the buyin is.