Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-04-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Poker IQ Test Draught (Long)

[ QUOTE ]
For the last question a call is +EV because you are 64% favorite against random cards (pokerstove). But if it is that early in the tournment and I have only the big blind in the pot, I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead money in the pot is of no consequence. Folding here is worse than just giving 1/4th of your stack to the other player. This is almost like folding KK because your opponent shows you AKs.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:58 PM

Of course you are right for the 2 to 1 favorit. But a pro doesn't pass on small edges because is point is to win or to save some time if he loses early. It is only another tournment for them. You see what I mean. If you go there you may not feel that way.

For the hands you should make up your owns, you don't have to copy it. If you are not going to publish your test I believe you can ask him by courtesy, but it doesn't really matter.

My example about the pot size bet is about NL. If you go for a check raise or a raise and want to cut someone's odds to call. for example there is 200 in the pot and you face a 150 bet, now if you want to cut his odds and bet the size of the pot you have to call the 150 and then raise 500. So you have to raise 650 total to give him 2 to 1 odds. If you only raise 350 (thinking that's the size of the pot) he gots 3.5 to 1 (200 to win 700).

I'll quote Harrington for the kings. He says he's not good enough to fold them preflop. Of course if everyone goes all in before you and they are all decent players you can reconsider. But like you said with the 66, against the range of hands they can have it is +EV so you shouldn't fold. I don't think KK preflop could be an example of a good lay down.

Hope that it helps. You should do a thread to help you to collect previous hands. And then submit your analyse of them for approval. I'm sure the good posters here will be happy to discuse the final line (once you prepared the hands). That's a lot of work though. You can wait for HOH3. I read that's what it will be about. Or use other books like that, there is a few (TJ's for example).
Old 12-04-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the last question a call is +EV because you are 64% favorite against random cards (pokerstove). But if it is that early in the tournment and I have only the big blind in the pot, I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead money in the pot is of no consequence. Folding here is worse than just giving 1/4th of your stack to the other player. This is almost like folding KK because your opponent shows you AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the hands you should make up your owns, you don't have to copy it. If you are not going to publish your test I believe you can ask him by courtesy, but it doesn't really matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time is really an issue with making up my own. And besides, the examples of one of the best poker players and authors in the world will I suspect be better than mine. It may be more than just a case of courtesy, my results for the visual perception study may be published, and thus how I filtered my participants may also have to be published. Why can't poker just have a ranking system like chess, my life would be so much easier.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

My pleasure. This topic has come up a few times. Probably the best and most concise point was made by Greg Raymer:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...page=&vc=1
Old 12-05-2005, 06:21 PM

1 - BAEDC

2 - B

3a - 15
3b - 2.3. - 1
3c - Call

4a1 - Fold – (if I do hit my hand likely I am dominated, or drawing to an inferior holding)
4a2 - Fold (If I catch either card, I have either bad kicker or any pair beats me.)
4a3 - Call – It least a coin flip against 2 overs.
4a4 - Call, of course no Explanation necceasary

4b1 - call – I might catch a flush or straight, my hand does well w/ multiple opponents, and will get paid off well, if I hit.
4b2 - still fold
4b3 - call
4b4 - call

5 - D. I’m hoping to p/u a few blinds from tight bubble hopefuls that are holding out. I want better hands to fold because they don’t want to risk it so late in the game.

6 - 53 / 47

7a - KK, JJ, 66
7b - 6x

8a - Fold, too early to take a chance on coin-flip, even w/ AA this early. Chan is likely holding at least KK.
8b - Fold – at the very least Chan has KK or AK (prob not).
8c - Fold. Unless I hit trips on the flop, I’m likely drawing to 2 outs. Many stronger hands will call.