Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM

Default AKo - made trips on river, facing raise.

I make trips on the river, and get raised. Do I smooth-call or three-bet?

2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (4 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero???
Old 12-05-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: AKo - made trips on river, facing raise.

Ugh. He may have trip kings. He may have been slowplaying a flopped straight the whole way. Or maybe he's making a play with pocket 4's (if so, you wouldn't think he'd pay off a 3-bet).

KQ/KJ is just 8 combos, and Villain might bet KJ when checked to on the flop (he'd have overs and an OESD). With KQ, for overs and a gutshot, again he might bet.

QJ is 16 combos. Hands like J7s and 76s (4 combos each) also can't be ruled out. There's also some chance he somehow called his way to the river with what is now a full house.

Even if Button is very loose, K7-K2 is just 24 combos. I wouldn't want to get capped here, so I think I'd just call.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:27 PM

WA/WB. Did Button slow play a Q on the turn after making his straight because of 2 spades board? Also, hand would have played differently had you bet the flop even with its connections. Pairing the board would then give raise to the fear of a full house against the straight but if he was drawing to an OESD, he probably would not go away.

I think you have to call and without any reads I cannot see grounds to raise the river trips. I see it as 50/50, because even if you do raise - I think he just calls with the straight rather then 3 bet into a possible full house.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 PM

I think he he has a boat or a straight, he would have popped the turn. I'm 3 betting this.

A problem with 3 betting, however, is I suspect that up to 25% of the time villain may be bluffing a significantly worse hand here on the river in which case we don't get our bet called.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:46 PM

don't forget KT too. i simply call his raise.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he he has a boat or a straight, he would have popped the turn. I'm 3 betting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been seeing a lot of slowplaying to the river lately.

But I don't know if slowplaying to the river has become popular at 2/4 or not. (It wasn't when I was playing that limit regularly.)
Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM

I raise, I think 2 pair, set, or straight would have raised you on the turn. Would be nice to have reads on the button. Some people do like to wait to raise flopped nuts until river.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:28 PM

My gut is to raise, but I can see the value in calling.

Call.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:00 PM

Depends on your reads on Button, doubt he slow played a flopped straight and I think he would raise kings up on the turn, unless he is really passive or was slowplaying.

I would easily three bet and call a raise.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:40 PM

Reads would go a long ways as to narrowing down possible hands the button could hold.

I think its safer to call. If you 3 bet, and he caps, then you wince and spew the extra 2BB that didnt really need to go into the pot.

From the way it played out, I think button has QJ and slowplayed it till the end.