Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-22-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: First Post: Hand from Stars 500K

Perhaps I am being naive but as I see it, he's either a massive favourite with a higher pair or only a slight dog with two overcards. I think the 6k raise is too much in that position becaiuse of the lack of info and, unless Villan is a complete idiot, he's got to be putting you on good cards to re-raise in early position. I wouldn't want to kiss goodbye to the chips and the pot odds are good, but I'd figure it was the wrong call. Whether I made would depend on the consequences to my table image, how long the table had been together etc. The call leaves me with an above average stack but it's, most likely, going to make subsequent aggression less profitable if everyone sees I've re-raised and then called a further re-raise with 66 in early. Of course, if you win, then it makes people very wary that you'll bet hard on such poor holdings but chances are you're losing.
I'm quite a successful MTT player but not at this level so please tell me if I'm being naive here.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:51 PM

Well, I think this is very dependant on your read of the villain, but as you said, you had none. I would say Villain's range is any pocket pair, A8+, KQo+. Does that help my decision? Yes and no. Yes, because it means I can call profitably. No, because I'd rather outplay two high cards, rather then race with them. Final decision: Call because of odds, and puke when he shows his overpair (or when he shows A5o and an ace hits the river). Even if you lose, you are still above the average chip stack, albeit with an M of ~7.

Oh, and I probably don't raise this pre-flop.

-Gross
Old 11-22-2005, 02:01 PM

With no read, there is no way you can put things like A8 in the 3bet range here.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 PM

If I hadn't seen unknown players do it on Stars with my own eyes, I wouldn't have included it. But you are right; AJ+ is much more likely, but it's almost the same odds. Either way, the odds are still good enough to call.

-Gross
Old 11-22-2005, 03:43 PM

Nice post and lots of opinions. Good going. I probably wouldn't but actually like your reraise w/66. I think it tends to win at this point way more often than not. Your question, though, is what to do next. I agree that the all in reraise will most often be on a monster and you will be drawing to a 2 outer or, once in a while, to a coin flip. Even tho you are getting the odds to call, it seems to me that 1/2 your stack should be the primary consideration, not the pot odds. I don't think that you should risk half your stack this early in a tourney when you are VERY sure that you are behind, even with the odds. Good laydown!