Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 PM

Default The weekly standard?

My internet connection just failed me and so when I returned to the table, I posted a small+big blind. I've decided to work on all elements of my game, which means I'm trying a lot of different stuff, just getting a feel for it.

Pokerstars $5/10 10-handed. Game has been running tight but it seems that all of the players are very bad postflop.

So anyway. This one isn't much but I'm curious. I post my blinds in the CO and it's folded to MP2, a TAG who plays badly postflop. He raises. MP3 folds, and I 3-bet A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Yeah, well?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: The weekly standard?

If hes good you call, if hes bad you 3bet right? Bad tags usually fold the flop too much unimproved, but call down too much when raised on the flop, IMO at least. Looks good to me.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 AM

I probably call and try to outplay him on the flop. How is he bad postflop? To agressive postflop, too passive? I think this makes A HUGE difference.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:30 PM

A lot of people haven't agreed with me on this spot before, but I see this as a 3-bet or fold (almost everyone else said to just call in this spot). Would you coldcall here with A3s? No, and that is why I like a 3-bet if you intend to play. It's not like he knows that we are raising lite and probably figures our range won't include hands like A3s and JTs and whatnot.

Brad
Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people haven't agreed with me on this spot before, but I see this as a 3-bet or fold (almost everyone else said to just call in this spot). Would you coldcall here with A3s? No, and that is why I like a 3-bet if you intend to play. It's not like he knows that we are raising lite and probably figures our range won't include hands like A3s and JTs and whatnot.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling is DEFINITELY better than folding and it has nothing to do with whether or not you'd cold call with A3s.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with this point, not necessariy with just this hand, i think this is close between calling and 3-betting, but in this situation there are a lot of hands that you would be giving up too much by folding, but you dont necessariy want to isolate the PFR, who may have you badly beat, i am generally calling with more hands here than i would from the BB just because i will likely have position on the flop and i am getting favorable odds, but 3-betting will cut that down by a lot

suppose the raiser was UTG, would you 3-bet in that situation, i wouldnt fold, i think a call is best

edit: also i usually dont post the small+big, i would imagine putting dead money in the pot cant be +EV, but i dont know how much of a difference it realy makes
Old 11-09-2005, 12:01 AM

I'm not sure I like this, and I would like to hear a little more of your thought process. The statement "he is poor postflop" could mean a lot of things. If you hit an ace, you almost commit yourself to showdown even though you could easily be dominated, and your kicker is such that you can never be comfortable if you pair it. If you completely miss the flop and get bet into, then what? I would hate to 3-bet and then fold to a flop bet. I think that calling is better.
Your thoughts?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:55 AM

3-betting and getting a fold back to the raiser gets hero 5.8:2.

Calling almost ensures even a relatively tight BB will be playing.

Seems worth the extra SB to me with position against a poor player postflop.