Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Choosing a financial advisor?

I'm not sure if I am personally ready to invest $25,000 more into the stock market right now. I started with $5000 this week and have taken a beating like almost everyone else this week. I know I can get 3.5% from my Met Life Money Market account, so maybe I should leave the $25,000 in there until I feel more comfortable with stocks & fund choices. Also the Market looks a little strange right now, but maybe this is typical "variance"?

That's my main decision, to hold off and keep the money in a 3.5% Money Market account while I teach myself more about investing (this could take what a month or two?) or pay someone with much greater investing knowledge and have him help me start investing the $25,000 now.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:57 PM

I am in the same boat as you.

I am putting most of my money in varios Vanguard funds and trying to learn how to trade myself.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 PM

I guess maybe I just have piss poor timing buying stocks for the first time this Monday:

The blue-chip Dow average and the broad S&P 500 were down for the fourth day in a row, their longest losing streaks in months, while the Nasdaq notched its third straight decline. The S&P 500 is on track for one of its worst weeks of the year.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/051006/marke...cks.html?.v=16
Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe I should leave the $25,000 in there until I feel more comfortable with stocks & fund choices

[/ QUOTE ]
Good idea.
[ QUOTE ]
while I teach myself more about investing (this could take what a month or two?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Bad idea. I say take at least a year. Good luck.
-web

PS
Your "sample size" of stock investing is approximately equivalent to playing three hands of 0.50/1 limit holdem. Trying to get a feel for how good you are, or how much variance there is, or ..... anything like that .... based on what you've experienced so far, is not worth attempting.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS
Your "sample size" of stock investing is approximately equivalent to playing three hands of 0.50/1 limit holdem. Trying to get a feel for how good you are, or how much variance there is, or ..... anything like that .... based on what you've experienced so far, is not worth attempting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buff, you stole my line... I echo this sentiment!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's my main decision, to hold off and keep the money in a 3.5% Money Market account while I teach myself more about investing (this could take what a month or two?) or pay someone with much greater investing knowledge and have him help me start investing the $25,000 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't take this the wrong way, and i am not arguing for the sake of arguing, and i am offering this as a heartfelt opinion, not a putdown or pretensious advice.

things you SHOULD do :
- consult someone in person or by reading a book
- learn

things you SHOULDN'T do :
- think you or even a professional financial advisor can and will beat a good fund manager

if you are willing to take some risk on a portion of your money and via professional advice aggressively try to beat the market, $25k is not a lot and the advisor and transaction fees will hurt your gains (rake).
Old 10-07-2005, 01:42 AM

Put half in WMT, and half in HD.
And hold.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:18 AM

*sigh* compared to you, JT, i just don't have the balls to put my 25k into 2 stocks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i split that much between 2-3 funds. my best bets were small-cap growth, financial sector, and russia, up 30-50% in 1.5-2 yrs that i held them.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:33 AM

.....and earn nothing...
Old 10-07-2005, 07:16 AM

Most financial advisors probably won't be interested in working with someone with a portfolio under 500K.

You can learn most of what you need to know on your own. In the meantime, put your money in a 6 month CD at 4% or a money market at 3.5% if you need access to it. Or put it in the Vanguard S&P Index 500.

Though this might not be the best time to get into the market.

I would park it in a CD so you can beat inflation. And study.