Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Anyone change their view of Hellmuth?

[ QUOTE ]
re: OP,

uh.. no.

he's still a know-it-all.

i loved how he totally backed out of danny n's challenge to fork up $500k and play him at the wynn
"any game you want any time" l0lz

[/ QUOTE ]he knows more than you, and many people dont want to play danny heads up, whats the bhig deal with that? harry potter references were great and the straburst with him an jesus ferguson lol. changed my mind on hellmuth a little bit
Old 07-18-2005, 01:40 PM

What amazed me most was hearing him commentate without pimping his goods every other sentence. I listened for a few hours, mainly during the period of him and harmon, him and ferguson, and him and lindgren. he was tactful most of the time, and enjoyable to listen to.

I was surprised at how seldom he got odds correctly, not even counting the TT vs AK 13:10 BS. It does rationalize how he could put 77 in his top ten hands list though.

He was still so full of himself that he never realized when people were giving him some backhanded jabs right in front of his face. You can really tell he is a nice guy that simply has a lot of ego/self control issues.

Another semi annoying thing is how he kept insisting his prior predictions came true, whent he initial 'predictions' weren't even close to as accurate as he claimed after they happened.

Overall, he did a fine job, and it was nice seeing him seem to genuinely hate seeing runner runner suckouts, even when its not against him. Even though thats poker, it never hurt anyone to call a suckout a suckout.

I haven't seen lederer do any commentary in awhile, but I would be especially curious to see these two guys together, both for the good mix of strategy/pseudo reads, and to see how howard deals with phil's slight beligerance.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:53 PM

yea instead of sucking and being a jerk now he just sucks and is a semi-jerk.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
re: OP,

uh.. no.

he's still a know-it-all.

[/ QUOTE ]he knows more than you,

[/ QUOTE ]

really, genius? well being that he's the greatest poker player ever (lol) i'm gonna take a wild guess and say he knows more than you too.

see you've got a commentator like mike sexton who offers constructive criticism and isn't constantly fluffing their own ego, but offers expert insight and analysis. when someone DOES make a bonehead play, they don't come off like a total jerk about it.
then you've got a phil hellmuth and no one can ever make a play as good as he would. totally frickin rude. basically a complete jerk.

i'll take the former. you can stick with your undisputed worldwide champion.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:24 PM

Default cut \'em some slack

I agree he can act like a moron, but i really dont think hes a bad guy. He was one of those kids who was pampered as he grew up, and was praised for every little thing he did right, i belive. And that is what causes this constant self praising, i genuinly belive that he has no idea how stupid he really sounds.
All in all he meens well. He really is competitive but enjoys seeing others succed as well(Doyle and Chan), and like the original poster said, he truly loves the game and is enthusiastic about it.
Hes a moron sometimes, but not really a bad guy. I think were better off with him around, than not at all, whether its for entertainment value or laying down AK on a board of A A 4...
-LL
Old 07-18-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: cut \'em some slack

Just for the record, Raymer said that he talked to Hellmuth about that hand, and the board was A44 and not AA4.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:04 PM

If you ever catch some of the old WSOP broadcasts before hold card cams, Phil was often one of the commentators with Gabe Kaplan. He is very comfortable talking through the hands and I thought the banter between him and Negreaneu was fantastic.

I am going to email Cardplayer right now and see if they can upload the commentary.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:22 PM

I will email them. What is the best email address reach them?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:33 PM

My view of Hellmuth is that he was awfully annoying at the table but reasonably nice away from it. So, no, it didn't really change, since he's lived right up to it though the tournaments and the broadcast.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:40 AM

I didn't really hear the audio excpet i tuned in very late and i hear Phil H. whining about that he was pissed because he couldn't leave and wouldn't get sleep beofre leaving for his big celeb party coming up. Like that was more important that letting us know what was going on with the action. The man is all about himslef(very obnoxious). He is a shameless self promotor. He makes me sick. But i must admit i enjoy watching him on tv. It is comical. Doesn't mean i like him. But i like watching him. Btw out of all the tounrey players i would say he is the most likely to give you a dirty look or ignore you if you tried to get his attention. Unless the camera was on then he would put on a show and act like he's a sweetheart to his fans and how great a guy he is. This is all just an opinion that isn't a strong opinion as i don't know him personally. But it is the vibe i get from seeing him around.