Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: full ring vs. 6-max

[ QUOTE ]
I am fully convinced and as evidenced by playing against miles last night, 6 max seems to be mostly an action junky almost pure luck game.

And I am the unluckiest player at it, which probably just means I suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems that way at first, it gets better once you get used to it more, and get comfortable in blindsteal, and defend situations
Old 12-21-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After everything i've read the past few months I think, preferences aside, it boils down to this:

Six max is more profitable for good players. Some of us are not good players, and haven't yet realized it. I think the player skill continuum looks something like this:

- Awful
- Poor
- Mediocre
- Average
- Good
- Very Good
- Excellent
- BK/Schneids, etc.
- Supreme Poker Being

I think it breaks down such that Goods are winners at 1/2-2/4, VGs are winners at 3/6-5/10, Excels at 10/20-20/40, BKeids at 30/60+ (but not all levels), and SPBs at any level.

Once you reach Good, the full ring and 6max games are such that, combined with your talent, there's more profit to be had playing shorthanded.

I play full ring, b/c i'm a mediocre player.

[/ QUOTE ]

During a bad run of cards 6 max can make you feel stupid in ways that full ring rarely, if ever, does. You tend to play more marginal cards in the blinds and late position. And you often need to call down against aggressive or crazy opponents with the thinnest of value. So when cards are missing you, you don't just sit quietly and stay out of trouble as you do in full ring, you get in, mix it up and find yourself in the middle of strange pots with nowhere near the quality of cards you're used to having.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 AM

My biggest problem in 6 max is leaving pot odds behind in the face of reads on opponents.

I think it needs to be done on occassion, but I think it explains a lot of my problems. In full ring, I have absolutely no problem dumping a hand on the flop if the pot is small and I didn't hit.

In 6-max, I'm subject to raise this same pot, simply because the preflop action is going to be a lot looser, and there's a good chance that my opponent has even less than I do.

However, I'm terrible at knowing when I should fold and when I should stay. And as many hands as I'm involved with short-handed, bad judgement can kill you quickly.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am fully convinced and as evidenced by playing against miles last night, 6 max seems to be mostly an action junky almost pure luck game.

And I am the unluckiest player at it, which probably just means I suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are who I think you are, I played against you. I thought you were too aggressive in the wrong spots. You called down a couple times with small pp's when I showed aggression with overcards falling. It may seem like it's luck, or laggy, but you have to pick your spots, and reads are highly important. Keep playing and gl.

edit: read the small stakes short forum, lots of goot stuff in there.