Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Re Review

[ QUOTE ]
Did you read the book? The reason I ask is that the copy of SS2 I have doesn't have a Chinese Poker chapter.

best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have gotten the "friends list free version", which doesn't include the bonus material such as the Chinese Poker section and the strip poker section. There are some great pics of Doyle. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2004, 11:17 PM

I got the pics of Doyle, but nothing about Chinese poker.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:58 PM

i too enjoyed the duce to 7 section, and was glad to have a place to read about it, but there is no section on chinese poker, what are you talking about?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:00 AM

i now see that MM notice that too. when is the MM super system 2 review. i really like your reviews. they are extreamly helpful.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Re: not on line

i did not get mine from doyle's room, so maybe there is a chinese poker section in the ones that people are earning on line [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
Old 12-29-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Correction on review

i feel i was not completely candid in what i wrote about SS2. i know most of the people involved in SS2 therefore i was a little too gentle. in the limit section there is an example where vs 3 opponents a player sees the flop with 66. the section discusses taking the pot away from a bettor on a ragged flop with the 66. the scary part is in most games that 2 + 2 readers play, playing 66 with incorrect odds is going to result in loosing money (long term). the book contains many things like this. i think that while the book stresses aggression - which is great, not all the information is correct for most low and middle limit games. in places the book is solid, but overall it can not compare to the books i mentioned in my earlier posts on SS2.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:35 AM

Hi amulet:

My copy was handed to me by Doyle. I don't think he would give me an incomplete copy.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-29-2004, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i did not get mine from doyle's room, so maybe there is a chinese poker section in the ones that people are earning on line [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
I got mine from doylesroom as well. No Chinese Poker in mine.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: super system 2 review

I had heard that SS2 was not a replacement for SS1, but rather a sequel, so I bought SS1 in anticipation of receiving SS2 in the mail from Doyles Room. I only read the first couple of chapters before receviing my copy of SS2. So, while I haven't had a chance to read either in any real depth, now that I'm skimming through SS2 I'm increasingly getting the feeling that SS1 is a big waste of time. It has multiple chapters on obsolete games I have no interest in learing and the 'important' chapter about NL was reprinted/updated in SS2. (I would also assume the LHE chapter in SS2 is as good if not better than the SS1 one, although, again, I haven't read either in full.)

My plan now is to dive into SS2 fully, and have no intentions of ever bothering to read SS1. Do others share my outlook, and/or does it sound reasonable?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: super system 2 review

[ QUOTE ]
My plan now is to dive into SS2 fully, and have no intentions of ever bothering to read SS1. Do others share my outlook, and/or does it sound reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have yet to receive SS2, but I think your assessment of SS1 is right on. SS1's reputation as "the bible" was built long ago, when there really was no other source of decent information. It was a very good book, but nothing really spectacular except that it was first.

IMHO, you can safely ignore SS1. I'm not sure whether SS2 is meant to replace it, add on, or just use the SS name to sell more books, but all the relevant information is now available elsewhere. Some of the info in SS1 is even plain wrong now, as the players and quality of play, as well as the games themselves, have changed drastically. You mentioned the chapters on games that aren't played anymore, and the limit hold'em chapter was written with a different blind structure in mind - he calls the game "mechanical" and implies that it's easy. That isn't true in the current structure, meaning that a lot of the information no longer applies, at best, and can be very dangerous for newer players who might not realize the differences.