Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Get tricky on the turn?

30/60. Weakish table, lots of people see the flop, sometimes the turn before they fold. UTG limps, MP limps, I raise 44 from the CO, button 3 bets, BB calls, limpers call. Flop is a beautiful but dangerours 4-3-2 w/ 2 diamonds. Checked to me I bet, button raises, everyone calls, I 3 bet, button caps and everyone calls - wheeee. Turn is the a glorious 2. Checked to me - time to get tricky or keep the gas on?

I ask because I've been playing boatloads of shorthanded and always struggle transitioning back to the full games where tricky often blows up in your face and costs you bets. I was slightly disappointed w/ what transpired - will post results later.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Get tricky on the turn?

just bet it man, he's not folding an overpair or a flush draw anyway, so pick up your bet on the turn. he might even raise!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:54 PM

actually i wasn't concerned w/ button, was confident that if i bet he would raise, if i checked he would bet. i was more concerned with overcalls - there were 3 others still in the pot... still think bet?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:18 PM

check raising here is fine unless button has a history of capping flops with draws then checking through the turn.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:30 PM

They all called 2 on the flop, let them call 2 more on the turn. Bet it. If button clears the field that is okay because you will still get to 3 bet him. They will not fold a draw and chances are good they are drawing dead. I can see your desire to let button bet it and CR the entire field..that's just good clean fun.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:35 PM

I used to raise small pairs there but think limping is probably the best usually. It doesn't REALLY matter just kinda talking outloud.

I really don't know what to do on the turn. Betting it can't be too wrong as you're making sure at least a bet goes in there if not 3, yet it would be nice if you know he's going to bet to get a bunch of callers trapped in drawing dead to nearly dead for 2 bets each...so really, it doesn't matter I don't think. Sometimes do one, sometimes do the other, it's pretty close.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:23 AM

Thanks everyone. I bet, with the same logic as surfdoc, they called 2 once they'll do it again. Button raised and everyone promptly folded - I was disappointed. Rest was standard. I 3 bet and he just called. River was a third 2, convincing the button his boat (QQ) was good and went 4 bets.

I was inclined to check the turn and checkraise all/part of the field, but the voice inside my head was screaming "Tricky bad in full ring!!!" so I clicked bet instead. Really wish I had it to do over again. Regarding the raise in that spot, I like to mix it up. I was running over the table, showing the goods and people were laying down, just got lucky on that flop as I was certain the button had something big preflop.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:31 AM

PREFLOP: I don't know why you raised 44 from the CO. That's an open raise in a SH game. That's not even a raise after a limper shorthand in my book. Full Ring, you want more callers and you almost always are going to fold it if you don't make a set.

TURN: Bet.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not even a raise after a limper shorthand in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but I'd consider a new book. I live to isolate weakish limpers w/ little pair's SH. I wouldn't recommend it as standard practice in full games, but w/ position, my table image and these players I couldn't help myself.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone. I bet, with the same logic as surfdoc, they called 2 once they'll do it again. Button raised and everyone promptly folded - I was disappointed. Rest was standard. I 3 bet and he just called. River was a third 2, convincing the button his boat (QQ) was good and went 4 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may have folded anyway on the turn.