Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Pretending I have AK 30/60

Tightish table. I raise TT from UTG, get 3 bet by a 19%vpip button, called by a loose SB, I just call. Flop comes K high, 2 diamonds. Check to button, he bets, SB folds. I call. Turn is A spades. I check, he bets, I raise. Thoughts?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Pretending I have AK 30/60

Given the way you played the hand up until the turn I would pretend you had 10/10 and muck. However, anything can be justified in terms of meta-game considerations as long as it's done infrequently....so if that's the case then it's not horrible.

But if you were intending to push him off QQ/JJ you probably need more than just the K on the flop, unless he's pretty weak tight. You got the Ace on the turn to accomplish that but a lead turn bet is probably a better investment than a check-raise. If he calls I'm done with the hand. Same thing with a turn-check raise.

Alternatively, you could check-raise the flop and bet the turn and fold to a raise. If you don't get raised on the turn I would check-call a brick river and expect to lose most of the time.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But if you were intending to push him off QQ/JJ you probably need more than just the K on the flop, unless he's pretty weak tight. You got the Ace on the turn to accomplish that but a lead turn bet is probably a better investment than a check-raise. If he calls I'm done with the hand. Same thing with a turn-check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I was done if he put up a fight. I felt there was a chance he 3-bet me for isolation w/ a small PP. I guess my other question - is a 19% vpip indicative of someone you can push off QQ/JJ/TT w/ 2 overcards? Don't have his aggression #'s handy.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
Me -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You - Agreed, I was done if he put up a fight. I felt there was a chance he 3-bet me for isolation w/ a small PP. I guess my other question - is a 19% vpip indicative of someone you can push off QQ/JJ/TT w/ 2 overcards? Don't have his aggression #'s handy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me - I don't think vpip would answer that question well, AF #'s will help. If he's 3-betting with 88/99 or garbage good for him but with that Ace I'm not making a move on the turn against an unknown. I may make a move on the river if he checks the turn but many average players will just check behind on the turn here with JJ/QQ. A bet by villain isn't usually "I'll bet and if he check-raises me I'm done with the hand." It's: QQ/JJ are too "precious....stupid turn, I'll check and pick off a bluff on the river hopefully"

I just don't think it's common enough to hope for the desperation bet on the turn by villain or that he/she thinks you had a king and now the Ace will scare you into folding.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:40 PM

Folding is better.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is better.

flawless_vic

[/ QUOTE ]