Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 04:55 PM

Default The amount you sit down with at a table

Do you guys think the amount you sit with at a table affects your image and the way players will play vs. you?

Let's say I leave 10k in my poker cashier, and everytime I play at a table, I sit with whatever is in my cashier (in this example, 10k). Do you think other players will respect me more, play back at me less, and target me less if I sit with 10k at a table, as opposed to sitting with 10x BB?

I do have some of my own opinions on this matter, but I would like to hear other people's opinions first, without giving out/away some ideas.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: The amount you sit down with at a table

The way I look at it is you can never have too many chips. Although, if you sat in one of my 30-60 games with 10k it would look to me like you were just showing off. So yeah, I'd probably take some shots at you figuring you weren't "used" to having that kind of money in your account. I mean, 10k is no big deal. Most 30-60 players could buy in for 10k if they wanted to.

But I do like to buy in for a little over the normal buy-in.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM

I think buying in over the table average is a good idea. If nothing else it give the impression to new players that you are winning, and that alone might effect how they play against you.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:31 PM

personally, when I see someone sit at a 20/40 short table with 5k+, fish alarm bells go off. You're obviously not multitabling with 5k at each table, and you clearly won't need that much. You took the time to buyin for X amount of dollars as opposed to the standard, and it's probably all you have left or close to it. Those type of people ususally either don't belong in the game or are tilting and want to be macho to "prove" they are good. I lick my chops when someone sits down with that much, but I have been proven wrong before.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:46 PM

People who usually sit down with less than the standard 25BBs buyin are usually fish. I notice that most good players buy in for the standard amount or 2x standard (50BBs).

Personally, I think if you buy in for 10k at a 15/30 or 30/60 table, people will try to take shots at you. I think if you like having more money at the table, 50xBB would be fine, I would not go anymore. Also, if you have 100+BBs at a table, new players will know that you bought in for a lot rather than thinking you might have actually been winning.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:46 PM

I personally like to buy in about 1.5x the standard 20BB buy-in, give or take. For example, I buy-in with $1k at 15-30 and $2k at $30-$60. Any less, if you lose a couple confrontations you may inclined to reload which can take up valuable time when you're multitabling. Any more, and as someone noted above you may appear to be "showing off," which is not bad in and of itself but may peg you to observant players as someone who is not used to having this kind of money. I agree that when someone sits with something like $10k at a $30-$60 you know that they are not multitabling and likely care more about the money than you would. What really matters is that you never have so little that you can be put all-in in one hand. That's a big no-no in limit hold'em, IMO. (That said, feel free to get drunk and buy in with $10k at a $3-$6 table. It's a crowdpleaser.)

When I play live, I like to buy in enough so that I am well above the average chip stack at the table, within reason. (If someone is up 3k at $20-$40 im not going to go to the cage and come back with a wheelbarrow :-)

- Jags

edit: spellcheck
Old 08-15-2005, 05:48 PM

When I look for fishy tables on Party I often look for tables where most of the players have less than 20x the BB. Because most good multi-tables just buy in for the standard 25x the BB.

However, I also agree with Lestat. So buy in for a lot, or a little, if you want to look like a fish.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:54 PM

I have had the type of money you describe on 30/60 tables before on party, and much much more than that on crytpo 30/60 games.

FWIW when me, Nate, Diablo, James and Gonores multitabled 10/20 6max we all bought in for $2000/table.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:59 PM

You guys would obviously be the exception to the rule, but I would say that someone buying in with over 100BB i.e. 10K $30-$60 are not multitablers or expert players playing their a-game, in general.

I mention a-game because I have seen players who I know are good/winning players buy in with an exoribtant amount when they are on tilt.

- Jags
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 PM

I routinely target a SH 30/60 player who buys in for 6-10k at each table. Although lately it has been less [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]