Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-17-2005, 12:55 AM

Default wireless network help

I just got a laptop and baught a netgear wirelss router wtih my laptop. I can easily find the network, but it takes a long time to get connected to the wireless network. Once i am connected it will stay connected for a few minutes and then drop connection. Is there anything i can do?
Old 12-17-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: wireless network help

im assuming that the laptop has built in wireless ? When you say the network you mean the internet connection? From what I recall its a known issue with some wireless routers, maybe check the netgear website?

I know my brother had a netgear router and wireless card and it would keep dropping connection, i dont think we ever figured it out. ill check with him and see if he figured out how to stop it.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:39 AM

Run a search next time before you post. It saves space and you dont get modded for it. Read my post on there it should help you.

CLICK HERE
Old 12-17-2005, 03:15 PM

that didnt work.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:38 AM

If you can still return it, I highly recommend to swap it for a Linksys. I had issues with my netgear. I switched recently to a wrt54g, and I have no wireless problems with any of my laptops now.

Also if you have WEP encryption turned on, try turning it off to see if that helps.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a laptop and baught a netgear wirelss router wtih my laptop. I can easily find the network, but it takes a long time to get connected to the wireless network. Once i am connected it will stay connected for a few minutes and then drop connection. Is there anything i can do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a 2Wire modem/router. If I tell it to NOT broadcast the SSID my other computer will link and establish internet connection BUT the internet will often drop. If I allow the SSID to be broadcast the internet connection never drops. I have WEP 64 bit enabled in both instances.