Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Party $50/100 - pocket 5s hit perfect

My image is bad as I've been running bad and having to fold to raises from continuation betting the turn. SB in this hand is solid and my view of him is as such. MP plus 1 is loose/bad.

MP+1 limps, 2 others limp I limp in LP, SB completes and BB checks. A23 flop with 2 spades and it's checked around to me. I bet. I'm not sure how I feel about this bet. Anybody hate/love it? If called I'll probably continue bet the turn unimproved. SB hesitates and calls, MP+1 calls.

Turn is the 4 of clubs, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] it's checked to me I bet, SB raises, MP+1 calls I 3 bet, SB caps and all call.

River is a 9. SB checks, MP+1 checks I bet SB raises, MP+1 folds and I call.

I have a couple questions. Who hates my flop bet? Who hates my river bet? I think the turn cap is standard to charge the flush draw. Results to follow.

Sorry if some of this is elementary but I was doing great when I first started in the $50/100 and now I'm getting shelled and am in that "I don't know if anything I do is right anymore" syndrome.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Party $50/100 - pocket 5s hit perfect

i would check through the river, i think the rest of the hand is fine.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM

You think SB checkraised the river with 56? No way. 3-bet.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:05 PM

I think the flop bet is a pretty good bet to make. Depending on how attached the players are to their hands you have a possible 2 cards to see with 1sb invested and most likely some solid outs.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:57 PM

i'd play it the same way. MP likely has a set and was trying to get a cheap showdown/ draw for a boat. no way does 56 cap the turn and not lead the river.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:55 PM

The only decision is whether or not to 3 bet the river, I probably would. The flop bet and river bet IMO are absolute no-brainers. Do you really thing the SB is playing 56 this way? Its a pretty horrible line for him on the river. If so then I'm not sure of the "solid" read on him.

-ActionBob
Old 12-15-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Results

I call and villain rolls 56o and I lose. I think the only real interesting part of this hand is the river. My read is that he's solid and does a non solid player cap the turn here with a set? I think only if he's pushing really hard or has a donk view of me. I think a bet is in order b/c if the bad player has a set he might get stubborn and overcall but really am I ever not looking at at least the same hand from the player in the small blind? I think that's why flawless argues for a check behind on the river feeling that the only hand that calls ties me and I might get raised by 56. In retrospect I think I like a bet since we might get an overall from the bad player. I'm not sure about the 3 bet because would a set really checkraise me here? I doubt it.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:55 AM

Kayber,
I think you played the hand fine. You just got unlucky this hand. People on here look at hands and always think there is a "perfect" or "best" way to play a hand. But really, there is a lot of randomness in hold-em (thats what keeps them coming back for more). So, don't get too caught up in the results in one hand. What is more important is to adjust to how the other people are playing you and play back at them accordingly. You'll save more money by focusing on your blind play

and everyone runs bad...

good luck
Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only decision is whether or not to 3 bet the river, I probably would. The flop bet and river bet IMO are absolute no-brainers. Do you really thing the SB is playing 56 this way? Its a pretty horrible line for him on the river. If so then I'm not sure of the "solid" read on him.

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain to me why this is a horrible line for 56?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain to me why this is a horrible line for 56?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's too much downside to checking. First the obvious it might get checked thru. Maybe the button was just getting frisky with two pair or a set on the turn and now decides to check. Also obviously the player in the middle, who knows what he has maybe a slowplay of two pair or a set also that got ugly on the turn. He might make a crying call in this pot for one bet but not for two. If the button does have a 5 he's probably going to raise the river once anyway without thinking allowing you to get in 3 bets. By checking we not only have the above issues with the middle player, but now you've made him think twice about his 5 and only two bets might go in when he has a straight as opposed to 3.

Just my 2 cents.

-ActionBob